Lightweight flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twisted civic

I'm about to change my clutch (ek hatch), I'm putting another honda oem clutch kit in it, and I was wondering if the lightweight flywheels make much of a difference with a mostly stock (144whp) b16.

I've seen some around 8-9lb (so called "race") and some around 12-13lbs ("street"). I've heard that the 12lb flywheels are better for slightly modded n/a motors, and for street driving.

I would like some opinions from people who have the really light ones, as well as the "street" light ones.

I've been running an oem clutch and an oem flywheel since I did the swap.
What difference will it make? will I feel it? Is there a downside to a light flywheel?

any help would be appreciated.

The flywheel is basically an energy storage unit for your drivetrain. The only problem is, you have to "charge" it before energy gets to the rest of your drivetrain.

Engine -> Flywheel -> Transmission

Think of it like that. Heavier flywheels make cars easier to drive because you don't rely on the engine as much to change the car's movement- that's why people who aren't used to light flywheels have problems stalling a car coming off a red light. You have to be more precise with your throttle application because you have less buffer between the engine and transmission.

If you know anything about electronics, think of the flywheel as a giant capacitor wired in series with your power line. :)

Basically, a light flywheel lets you accelerate and decelerate the engine faster, but it also stores less energy. You have less flywheel energy to rely on when you're starting from a standstill, but other than that- you will have a much more freely revving engine.

I run a 7.5 pound Clutchmasters/Fidanza on my engine, and it's really easy for me to drive. I never stalled the car after the flywheel went in. If you think you can adapt quickly to the lighter flywheel, I would recommend just going for the 8-9 pounder.

yea, it depends on how light you go and what material. NHRA has a weight limit on how light they can be before you have to go to a scattersheild. If you go under a certain weight, its HIGHLY advised by their rules and for safety sake to buy a scatter sheild. If a flywheel ever decides to blow, pray. It has so much stored energy, your bellhousing and firewall will bearly slow it down. The Scatter sheild is designed to sheild the srapnel if it ever does blow.

The bigger name brand aftermarket flywheels are generally a pretty safe bet. I haven't heard of any issues with the Clutchmasters/Fidanza or ACT flywheels blowing up under pressure- but that doesn't mean that there haven't been any. I know that I haven't had any problems with mine over 20k miles of hard driving though.

Back