Linux Ownz m3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
Like the topic title says. I just installed Red Hat Enterprise edition and cant figure out to install stuff haha. Oh well though best way to learn is to try it out. Im just pumped that it installed my NIC without any problems. Funny part is though on this machine I have two HD's and it didnt display that I was installing Linux to the drive that had windows on it so it wiped it :( Linux 1 Windows 0 I was excited so I thought id share the news. Take it easy guys.

Linux has no problems detecting most hardware. As for it nuking your windows partition, that's RedHat for ya. It may be one of the easier distros to handle, but as you just experienced, it tends to make decisions for you. Bad Redhat, Bad!

Haha bad Red Hat is right but oh well. Ive got another drive like I said. Figure I should get use to Linux some what because in the next few quarters im gonna be having two Linux based classes.

In that case, Red Hat is a good choice. When you are ready to get into some of the nuts and bolts, try Debian or Slackware.

When you're ready to go insane, install Gentoo.

My favorite quote, and it is true:

it only takes three commands to install Gentoo

cfdisk /dev/hda && mkfs.xfs /dev/hda1 && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/ && chroot /mnt/gentoo/ && env-update && . /etc/profile && emerge sync && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootsrap.sh && emerge system && emerge vim && vi /etc/fstab && emerge gentoo-dev-sources && cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install modules_install && emerge gnome mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge grub && cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vi /boot/grub/grub.conf && grub && init 6

that's the first one

Yeah my old highschool admin recomends Debian so once i get Redhat kinda figured out I will definatly check it out. Thanks very much for the offer Sabz5150 ill for sure keep you in mind when I hit some snags.

Back