1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux problems

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by cheese9988, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Just wanted to ask some general questions from you linux guys.

I typically use the computer for work stuff, pay bills, get info from the internet and play occasional games. Right now I am using ubuntu 7.1.

Problem I have with the system is:
    -it crashes alot, windows rarley crashes for me
    -gettings any windows apps through wine is like pulling teeth
    -gettings the extra effects working through my video card was a real pain (I did fix it)
    -all the little things like desktop themes or playing video don't work, or work half as well as one windows app does.

So I wanted to see if you guys get the same problems, what you did to fix it, or do you just live with it? I LOVE the flexability of it, but it's almost like I can't trust it to work right all of the time. I have used it on multiple machines and with different versions of different packages, each seems to get a little better....but not there yet.

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

stick with windows, or try another flavour of linux.

3. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

You've gotta be doing somethin wrong, heh. I never have problems with Linux... I just downed my server after almost 130 days of uptime for some upgrades (HD tuners FTW). Linux never gives me any issues, it's stability is never a concern for me.

4. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

5. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

yea ive never had linux crash (except when i was doing stability testing for overclocking). um using the same distro you are. the graphics thing seems like a card problem, ati card?

6. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Nvidia, and from what I have been reading, people have all kinds of problems with. It's wierd tho, I installed linux mint which is just an easier ubuntu and all the graphics worked without much hassel?

You know anything about getting windows filesharing to work?
    At home I have another comp that runs win2k with a couple big hd's, basically for storage. At work they run a server with win2003.
    I can access all of the drives and folders at work, but not home. Keeps saying cannot display all contents of "windows network: workgroup" My fiance's laptop has no problem doing it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted