Linux problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Just wanted to ask some general questions from you linux guys.

I typically use the computer for work stuff, pay bills, get info from the internet and play occasional games. Right now I am using ubuntu 7.1.

Problem I have with the system is:
-it crashes alot, windows rarley crashes for me
-gettings any windows apps through wine is like pulling teeth
-gettings the extra effects working through my video card was a real pain (I did fix it)
-all the little things like desktop themes or playing video don't work, or work half as well as one windows app does.

So I wanted to see if you guys get the same problems, what you did to fix it, or do you just live with it? I LOVE the flexability of it, but it's almost like I can't trust it to work right all of the time. I have used it on multiple machines and with different versions of different packages, each seems to get a little better....but not there yet.

You've gotta be doing somethin wrong, heh. I never have problems with Linux... I just downed my server after almost 130 days of uptime for some upgrades (HD tuners FTW). Linux never gives me any issues, it's stability is never a concern for me.

yea ive never had linux crash (except when i was doing stability testing for overclocking). um using the same distro you are. the graphics thing seems like a card problem, ati card?

Nvidia, and from what I have been reading, people have all kinds of problems with. It's wierd tho, I installed linux mint which is just an easier ubuntu and all the graphics worked without much hassel?

You know anything about getting windows filesharing to work?
At home I have another comp that runs win2k with a couple big hd's, basically for storage. At work they run a server with win2003.
I can access all of the drives and folders at work, but not home. Keeps saying cannot display all contents of "windows network: workgroup" My fiance's laptop has no problem doing it.

Back