Longer final drive for b16 tranny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alright, so revving at 4000rpm around 70 mph is killing the gas mileage, and I was wondering if I could take a longer final drive and put it into my tranny? Would that help any? I like the sportyness of the tranny I have now, but the final drive is short as hell...

I believe I have the S1 tranny, at least thats what it says on the gold sticker by the engine ID badge thing..

I feel your pain, I also have a EF with a turbo B16 setup. I think you mean you have a Y1 tranny which is the JDM B16A trans. You can change the gears but why? if you do that you are just making it into a LS trans if you want the longer gears. I tuned my car with a wide band with the current gears and I get 31 mpg with the short gears cruising at 75 mph. The trick to understand is that it only takes about 15 hp to cruise on the highway so I leaned mine out to an afr of 16 for highway cruising and I am running 880cc injectors by the way so you can get mileage you just have to tune it. Oh and back when I had a D16A6 at 108 hp I would get 34 mpg.

Try swapping in a 4.266 FD from a LS; should help out. If not, swap out the 5th gear for a taller one.

Fifth gear swap sounds better since its mostly for cruising.
A final drive will alter the ratios so you may lose some ability to accelerate through all gears.

Then again whatever best suits you^_^

Back