Lookin for the right engine.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

STitch626!!!!!

STitch!!!!!
I'm looking for a good engine to put in my 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan. Im not lookin to be the fastest guy out there, but i do want to more power and speed. My budget is around $1000...any recomendations on engines or where i can look? Im also looking to swap trannies too. im gonna switch it from auto to manual...any suggestions?

Last edited:
A grand won't get you much in the world of late-model Honda engines. If you absolutely must get a new engine, your only real option that I can see is a D16Y8 from an EX. You can probably pick one of those up fairly cheap, and it will work with your existing mounts/transmission/wiring harness (I think). You'll want to get the EX computer though for the slightly more aggressive tuning.

well thats just my budget at the moment, but im in no hurry...whats a good engine and tranny for My car that i should try and keep an eye out for in the months to come while i save more?

A pretty common engine that a lot of Civic owners go for is the B18 Integra engine. Easy to swap in, but more expensive. There's much more involved in the transplant.

$1000 isn't enough, even if you found the motor for about $300. Save up a little more, and shop intelligently. As was mentioned, the B18C1 (GSR Integra DOHC motor) is a worthwhile swap - but you'll need the transmission too.

Upgrading to the Y8 will only give you VTEC. After the work that you invested, you'll find the payoff very small (Until you actually hit VTEC).

If you're SOHC now, then just swap on the Y8 head, and a piggy-back VTEC controller (a Spoon one can be found on Ebay for cheap) . It's a 1 wire connection. takes a little brain power but it can be correctly for less than $1000.

well right now im doin suspension...and im in no hurry to do the swap...im gonna be savin up for a while, whats a better engine than the B18 that i could llok for...i dont want something that is really common amongst civics...

The only thing you could do that is still fairly uncommon is a K-series from an RSX or '01+ Si. Unless you've got quite a bit of money to spend (5k or more) I wouldn't even look into it.

well, then you bought the wrong car. EVERYTHING has been done with civics, you will never be original, accept it.

b16 or b18 are your best bets tho. Also, please dont tel lus your budget is only 1000 if you arent planning on spending that 1000 now and you plan to save. Tell us how much you are goin to save and how much you are willing to spend instead.

dont even mention that!!!

guy, go read the 312443213224 threads about engines and engine swaps located elsewhere on this forum.

dont even mention that!!!

guy, go read the 312443213224 threads about engines and engine swaps located elsewhere on this forum.
:Werd:

I love when noobs say "I want my Civic, Integra, Del Sol, Honda ect... to be original" well you fucked yourself on that one buddy...

Yeah, you either think it'll be original or you know it will (IE you shove a V8 into a civic, you know what the hell you're doing or fail). If there is doubt/lack of knowledge, it most likely wont be original.

This thread got really nasty.

Everyone starts somewhere. And if you can do something original with a Honda (Which is possible.. talk to me :)) why not give it a shot ? has anyone successfully pulled off the 4WS mod ? a good 4WD swap ? IMA / Rotary swap ? No.

there is plenty of space left to go in the Honda world.

but not for no damned Grand.

Back