looking at a civic hatch with d16z6 swap what could cause these problems?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

grimremember

Well first off the car idols really really low like almost stalling low. Secondly when I floor it it kinda spudders and gets stuck for a bit and then starts to go. And lastly the guy said its running rich which I belive and I was woundering what would be the causes of these problems is it anything major?

Need a little more information to be able to really help. What year and trim level of civic? Does the car have a CEL on? What ECU is installed? With a swap that runs funny there are many more variables than with a stock vehicle. It could be a wiring problem, a sensor problem, an ignition problem, a fuel system problem, or a ECU problem. With most of the swaps I have seen done by other people my first instinct would be to say a wiring problem as most people who try and hack together a swap end up butchering the wiring.

could be incorrect timing, a jumped tooth on a cam gear, bad TPS, or 100 other things. is the engine stock (ie, it's an ex or si eg?)

It's a 1991 I'm pretty sure ex that's the basic model right? And yes the cel is on but im not sure about what ecu I know vtec works if that helps at all?

DX is the base trim level. If it is a 91 DX with a d16z6 swap the first thing I would check is the wiring. After that I would look into the cam and ignition timing. Also check the air bypass screw on the throttle body.

I would pass on this car. It's going to end up being a huge headache. Unless you can get it for $500-$1k, I would try and find one without any issues. There are a million Civics out there. You can find some good deals if you're patient.

Alright, I mean its not really as bad as it sounds I just wanna make sure its not gunna brake in a month. And also im getting it for fee kinda I'm trading my 3000gt with a broken water pump for it ( I regret buying that car I hate how it drives -.- ).

Alright, well "kinda" free is cheap enough I suppose. Does it have a check engine light? If you can figure out where the ECU is post the number on it here, that's always a decent place to start.

yes the check engine light is on but i dont have the car yet ( getting it sometime this week) so i dont really know the ecu, the guy said that the guy he got it from did the swap and he never asked about it.

Back