Looking for info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm new to the list and cruising for some info, so please bear with me.
I currently am searching for a potential engine to swap into my '73 Lotus Europa. If you're not familiar, it's a longitudinal mid engine GT.
Stock engine is a 1600 Ford derived twin cam @~140hp.
The kicker on finding a mill to swap in is the length of the engine.
Could anyone in this group give me the length of the F22C, not including bell housing?
Thanks in advance
Dutch

Longitudinal mid engine? I know what a Europa is, but I didn't know that it had that engine layout...

If you want, I can measure my engine tomorrow after I get to work, then come back on here and post the measurement for you. I don't really want to go outside and search for a tape measure right now in the cold.

Thanks, that would be much appreciated.
The setup is a fore & aft mounted 1600 twin cam attached to a Giordini 5 speed transaxle. There's about 23" from the front of the bell housing to the firewall.
Dutch

So you mean:

back of car -> rear axle -> transaxle/bellhousing -> engine -> firewall

Right?

Here's a photo of the drive train.
Please excuse the mess, it's a work in progress!
Dutch

Attachments

• europa drivetrain.JPG
    europa drivetrain.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 749
Wow. Getting to the timing belt/chain has got to be a pain in the ass! Sorry it's taking so long to get the measurements to you... I do have to do an oil change this weekend though, so hopefully I can measure things out either today or tomorrow for you.

Ya, the front of the engine ain't the worlds most accessable.
Good - the PO put in an electric water pump, Bad - the DPO squeezed it in against the firewall below the carbs. The hoses are literally in a knot! It's being moved to the nose alog with the AC heat exchanger.

Ok, from the bellhousing to the front of the block is about 19.5 inches including accessory drives. I'd just assume 20 inches, and give yourself another 2 inches of wiggle room to be safe.

Thanks - much appreciated. That's something worth more investigation.
How has your experience with the S2000 been
I've had Honda bikes & a CRX that were very reliable. Wish we had kept the CRX ('86HF), but no place to work on it at the time. Mechanicals were great, interior & plastic exterior panels didn't like the Florida sun.
Again, thanks for the info. Time to try & find one in the area to dig further into it.
Dutch

No problem. The only sucky part was that I had already put the car back down on the ground before I remembered to measure it. If you're looking straight from the stock firewall to the front of the pulleys, you'll want about 22-23 inches- but the bellhousing mates to the engine a ways in front of the firewall.

As far as reliability, I really think that the S2k engine is one of the best sports car engines you can get. I've driven my car 26k miles in just over a year, and I romp on it on a regular basis. 9k every day isn't a problem, and all I feed it is oil and gas. The best known record so far is 170k from a guy in California that posts on S2ki, 100k of those miles were with a supercharger, and all of those miles were aggressive driving and HPDE track events. I think that's a pretty good reliability record for the amount of abuse that engine took.

Back