Loud Air Noise in Engine Bay

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbo99

Ok, I think I was able to re-install the injectors. The car starts and idles smooth, but now I hear loud air coming from the engine bay. The air seems to be coming from or around the fuel rail on the right side. I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Did I install the injectors correctly? Also, I looked at my exhaust and noticed that a lot of freakin smog is puffing out of the exhaust. Does this mean that there isn't enough fuel going to the engine? Do you think one of the injectors isn't working? Help! :confused:

Do you think it is a vacuum leak or maybe one of the injectors is not working? If one injector was not working, would the car even start and idle normally? Why would it be emitting heavy clouds of gray smoke out of the exhaust?

Quoted post[/post]]
Do you think it is a vacuum leak or maybe one of the injectors is not working? If one injector was not working, would the car even start and idle normally? Why would it be emitting heavy clouds of gray smoke out of the exhaust?
Did you switch your plug wires at all?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Did you switch your plug wires at all?
Yes, I think I might have switched them out accidentally. Why? Does it really matter? Or I think it may be the sealant ring on one of the injectors because I noticed that it was torn. I went ahead and replaced them all. But, after I did that and tightened everything, now the fuel pump won't work. Man, it's one problem after another. I hear no fuel being pumped into the fuel rail when I turn the car on. Any ideas?????

Quoted post[/post]]
Check fuses as always, can you describe the noise some?

I was hoping that it was a fuse, but the fuse is fine. When you turn your car on, you're supposed to hear the fuel pump prime which should pump fuel into the fuel rail. Nothing happens, thus, starting the car is impossible without fuel. I did start the car with some plugs disconnected. I forgot to connect it so maybe that shorted out something (fuel pump broke as a result??). I'm not sure what else to check for.

Quoted post[/post]]
Check the 60amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box. If that's fine, use a multi-meter to make sure your grounds are alright. I was having a similar problem, minus the vacuum leak, after my swap. Turns out the motor to chassis ground wasn't there.

I looked in the fuse box engine bay yesterday and I didn't see any fuses that said, "Fuel pump." What is it labeled as? "Heater Relay?" or something like that. I'm going to check it when I get home.

Ok, when I get home from work, I'll check all those big ass fuses in the engine bay. I hope one of them is blown or I'm screwed.

I'm sure the motor is grounded to the chassis because I remember seeing the wire from the block connected to the chassis.

Thanks for your help.

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok, when I get home from work, I'll check all those big ass fuses in the engine bay. I hope one of them is blown or I'm screwed.

I'm sure the motor is grounded to the chassis because I remember seeing the wire from the block connected to the chassis.

Thanks for your help.

I finally got the car working. It was a freakin 15a fuse in the engine bay. It was under "FIE/M." I didn't realize that it included the fuel pump as well. I was looking for "Fuel Pump," but it fell under the "FIE/M." Thanks for telling me to double-check the fuses again. You guys are great! The air noise is also gone after I replaced the sealant rings on all of the injectors. :mrgreen:

I forgot to add that the gray/white smoke is gone. I found out that it means not enough fuel is being delivered to the engine. Thanks again for all that helped. :worthy:

Back