Loud Tick

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

the title says it all, my car a 1990 Integra is making a loud ticking noise at
idle to mid range RPM's I've looked at all the valves checked clearances and everything and they are fine... it is definetly in the head, the timing belt is pretty loose. I was thinking it may be out of time or something any help out be greatly appreciated...

you described something barely. You dont know what it is, and you can hear it. Think of how it is on our end.

That said, if you think its timing, get a timing light and check your timing.

Ill describe a little more...
I was driving to work Sunday morning when I pulled in and got out I noticed my car ticking loudly as I left the car running to run inside my work to get my check... when I came back out I noticed the car still doing it... I didnt know what to think so I drove it on home.

I then today after letting the car set all weekend went out and checked clearences on the the cylinder closest to the driver side moved it to TDC and checked the valves they were within clearence... so ignored the rest shouldnt have though (ill check the rest) after checking these I moved on and put everything back together... minus the side cover for the timing belt... I went on and started to car and noticed the belt was jumping and it was also loose... so I read in my Honda service manual on how to tighten the belt a little bit and did so... nothing changed... that's about as detailed as I can get right now. I'm at my friends house using his computer to post this and have to drive home... scared as shit

check all your valve clearances. just because one set are ok, does not mean the others are.

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Oct 20 2003, 03:42 PM
so ignored the rest shouldnt have though (ill check the rest)

I said I will check these as soon as I get a chance not to mention the sound is coming from the drivers side, or it seems.... thanks for responding B16

this might sound dumb , but 2 days ago i ran something over and my header got a whole in it and was making an extremely loud ticking - for a second i thought it was my head untill i went to checked my header and saw the whole

If its not the valve lash its most likely the exhaust. the guys above me are right. Good luck with you flea's or was it tick's, I think they have a shampoo for that!j/k :lol:

Well since it's a fuel injected car, mostly likely it's the injectors ticking. that's normal.

But check your oil, it could be the cams lobes ticking on the lifters.

if you can hear the ticking from inside the car then it most likely isnt the injectors

well thanks guys... i found out the problem and am well on my way to fixing it... it is indeed the rods so im fucked but the block is still good! so i have a b18 block for sale now!

Back