1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud Tick

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by brian11to1, Oct 20, 2003.

1. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

the title says it all, my car a 1990 Integra is making a loud ticking noise at
    idle to mid range RPM's I've looked at all the valves checked clearances and everything and they are fine... it is definetly in the head, the timing belt is pretty loose. I was thinking it may be out of time or something any help out be greatly appreciated...

2. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Bump, please someone help

3. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

no one on this entire freaking board knows anything about this? thats wonderful...

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you described something barely. You dont know what it is, and you can hear it. Think of how it is on our end.

That said, if you think its timing, get a timing light and check your timing.

5. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Ill describe a little more...
    I was driving to work Sunday morning when I pulled in and got out I noticed my car ticking loudly as I left the car running to run inside my work to get my check... when I came back out I noticed the car still doing it... I didnt know what to think so I drove it on home.

I then today after letting the car set all weekend went out and checked clearences on the the cylinder closest to the driver side moved it to TDC and checked the valves they were within clearence... so ignored the rest shouldnt have though (ill check the rest) after checking these I moved on and put everything back together... minus the side cover for the timing belt... I went on and started to car and noticed the belt was jumping and it was also loose... so I read in my Honda service manual on how to tighten the belt a little bit and did so... nothing changed... that's about as detailed as I can get right now. I'm at my friends house using his computer to post this and have to drive home... scared as shit

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

check all your valve clearances. just because one set are ok, does not mean the others are.

7. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

I said I will check these as soon as I get a chance not to mention the sound is coming from the drivers side, or it seems.... thanks for responding B16

8. SolLess16

SolLess16 Senior Member

this might sound dumb , but 2 days ago i ran something over and my header got a whole in it and was making an extremely loud ticking - for a second i thought it was my head untill i went to checked my header and saw the whole

9. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

yea, i had an exhaust leak where the header bolts to the head at cylinder #1, the gasket was fucked, and it made a ticking sound.

10. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

If its not the valve lash its most likely the exhaust. the guys above me are right. Good luck with you flea's or was it tick's, I think they have a shampoo for that!j/k :lol:

11. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Well since it's a fuel injected car, mostly likely it's the injectors ticking. that's normal.

But check your oil, it could be the cams lobes ticking on the lifters.

12. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

sounds like rod knock.

13. SolLess16

SolLess16 Senior Member

if you can hear the ticking from inside the car then it most likely isnt the injectors

14. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

when my girl nearly ran her car outta oil, it was making a rough ticking sound.

15. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

well thanks guys... i found out the problem and am well on my way to fixing it... it is indeed the rods so im fucked but the block is still good! so i have a b18 block for sale now!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted