Loud whistle at half throttle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

$k@m Art1$t

Hey everyone! I've got an 89 Civic Si, and whenever I'm at half throttle, whether I'm giving gas or letting off, there's a loud whistle coming from the engine. I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, but I figure someone else has had this problem before. It only happens at exactly half throttle. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 27 2005, 07:02 PM
vacuum leak?
[post=452256]Quoted post[/post]​

Mine is coming from the little vaccum (port tiny little tingy small tube) in my cheapo filter(intake).......
No Biggie...... :)

I also have a whistle at around 700-900 rpms, so this means pretty much at idle. Its really annoying. It started doing that when I changed my radiator hoses. Maybe I should bleed the cooling system again. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah its a torqueless wonder in a ej2 coupe (that's a 5th gen for you geniouses)

The whistle is just your intake, they put boxes on factory intakes to get rid of the whistle. Check your fittings, if they are as they should be, you have no problems.

i had that whistle b/c i re-used a throttle body gasket...thought what the hell...it's only a tb gasket. i was wrong...car tweeted like a fucking bird at like 2,250 rpm all the time. pissed me off enough to investigate. it might be your intake, but in my case it was reusing a shitty tb gasket

that whistile is on every car...its just the intake manifold sucking in air usually its only heard on aftermarket intakes. at certain RPM rages when you dont have the car at full throttle but only have it about 25%, it creates that whistle. the stock air box is closed up which is why you dont hear it on stock air boxes. but it is perfectly normal. otherwise you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere

my bros s2000 has that whistle
from 2-4k you have to hold the throttle at the right spot and u can get it

Mine did the same thing... figured out one of the hose clamps for my intake was not on snug.. try tightening your clamps...it will make the same less annyoning

Same whistle here... at arround 25% throttle.
It's just air whistling as it's sucked in thru throttle body. It ain't that loud either... so I don't car about little whistling sometimes :D

i thought the whistle had something to do with the throttle body on mine because afther i change the old throttle body out for a diffrent one, the whistle went away.

Back