LS block or GSR??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Savage211

Alright, here's my problem. I have a jdm gsr head. I have been planning to buy an ls block, hone, p30 pistons/rings/shot peen rods/ arp rods studs. etc...

But a local guy is selling his jdm gsr block. Now the block is cheap but still 3 times the cost of an ls my buddy is selling.

What i'm debating is buying the ls, and pretty much rebuilding the bottom end etc..

Or should i buy the gsr bottom end and leave it for a year or two and just work on bulding the head, then either re-build for all motor or turbo.

I would feel better having all new parts in my motor, but the fact the cost/time comes up as well.

I plan to run S2S2's or Pro 1's. with a ported head, valve job spring retainers etc.. so the head is being built regardless. But would you just buy the GSR block and build the head. Or buy the LS and build it from the bottom up.

Oh and the GSR block comp. tested and 202 on each cylinder, but i know that for a season he ran that block in an all motor set-up, so i know its been beat on. sooo.. im stuck.

Last edited:
Oh and i can get a complete ls bottom for 150 CND. And the Jdm Gsr block complete for 500 CND. So both good deals. :confused:

title changed...cant give you advice either way though. From what i understand, the GSR is easier to work with and for some reason you make more power with it (although the physics behind that wouldnt exactly agree).

202psi on every cylinder sounds pretty healthy to me. I would buy both the GSR block and the LS block if you can afford it. Run the GSR block, then rebuild it with the LS crank later when you have more cash.

The GSR has oil squirters and a crank girdle- two items that the LS block does not have. It's also built for a VTEC head, so you don't have to do any funny conversion business like you would need to do for the LS block later on down the road if you wanted VTEC.

Yeah, you'll pick up a little more torque and power with the slightly longer stroke. Every little bit helps.

thats what i did, i figured the gsr block had a better foundation, althought i heard that it really doesnt matter. . . but i figured it was a more stable ls/vtec build, seeing as i used a b16 head and built a poor mans R. but to each his own, your going to rebuild both, but like calesta said with the gsr block you dont have to do all that stuff for the vtec conversion. that was something i didnt wanna do, so i went around it =P.

my vote goes GSR, or buy both, sell 1 for more n make some xtra cash

Back