Ls Build Help!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

simark

This will be my 1st honda build. I just picked up a b18a1 ls motor and im looking for advice on a good build with a low budget? I wonder should i do n/a or forced induction? I want around 250whp sounds like a lot but i dont think i should have a problem with that! I have looked into like jdm b16 internals but i wonder if i should just do new forged internals ect? any advice or input would be greatly appiciated.

250whp on a budget is definitely going to be a turbo setup. How tight of a budget are we talking here?

well i am planning on going through the whole motor. The bottom end is going to be re-built with new or slightly used rods pistons and crank and the head is getting cams and port and polish and valves the whole nine yards. I am hoping with a budget of like 2000 to 3000 dollars. I thought about turbo but everyone has those i am thinking supercharger. what you think

your not goin anywhere with 2k,
but heres a build for ya,
BLOCK-use the stock crank,get eagle rods,some low compression pistons,oem bearings,arp hardware,oem gaskets,upgrade to a gsr oil pump,blockguard,
HEAD-arp hardware,turbo cams(your choosing),dual springs,titanium retainers,port and polish,intake manifold(your choosing) hondata im gasket,and then turbo..and TUNE TUNE TUNE

but since you dont have that money.you can turbo on the stock motor and make roughly 250hp with an awesome tune

well thanks man i mean obviously 2k is not that much but i got the whole long block for $120 and its not like im going to slap a cheap engine together and throw it in there its gonna be a while im just looking for certain things that i should use with the engine and where to get them. Idk where to go either...im a muscle car man i dont know too much bout these hondas but they are growing on me!

its gonna b hard to put a motor and turbo kit together with 2k

i dont care if i go n/a i mean i know im porting and polishing the head and getting cams and such..im building the motor right i just dont wanna spend more then 3k on the whole project. i need help with where to go for stuff and what brands and products i should use. I dont even know where some good machine shops are

gonna take alot more than 2k to get 250whp out of that motor n/a, gonna require a full build high compression crazy cams badass port on the head and prob a stroker kit then its a possibility with a badass tune...itll b cheaper to turbo

Last edited:
heres my build:
b18b1 block
gsr head w/3 angle valve job
brian crower valve train
brian crower stg 3 n/a cams
81.5mm arias forged billet aluminum 13:1 compression pistons
eagle rods
hytech header
blox intake mani
65mm throttle body
....not near 250whp

for real dude you have all that and your only puttin down 152? no offense thats not bad im just used to a small block chev with 350bhp in my camaro! well is your car n/a? and you know what whatever ill build and tune the crap out of it till i get my 250whp eff my 2k budget!!!! but i was seriously considering supercharger instead of turbo...you know wveryone has turbos and vtec these days

lol 152whp is a joke lol...thats ridiculously low haha...im used to an 85mm garrett on my mustang :)... but ya the honda is n/a and its puttin down like 215whp or some shit i dont remember...everyone goes turbo on honda because it makes way more power...ive prob got around 5 or 6k in my build but thats with built gsr tranny and lsd

I am doing the same build. I bought a used b18a from a junk yard. ended up having to buy a new head. Anyways im shooting for around 240 n/a. I bought forged internals. eagle rods and weisco pistons for right at $1000. You should then also have the crank pollished and buy new bearings for it. I went ahead and had it all balanced. It would be a good idea for you too. anyways I would go n/a just because its a little more reliable and less stress on the engine. This is important if your on a budget because if you end up destroying something with turbo or nitrous you probably won't have the money to do it all over again. anything around and over 200 is fun. especially n/a you can do it safe and you will have a fast car.

250 WHP N/A is a bitch and your going to spend a hell of a lot more than 2-3k

I spent 2+k On my head alone two years ago. But im sure you can build a nice N/A B18a/b with 2k.

I have a JG engine dynamics Ported and polished head with EVERYTHING done to it just sitting in my closet......was gonna build a nice N/A B20 but things came up so now its on the market.

With that said and out of the way here is some pointers.

keep your Stock LS crank because it has the longest stroke from all the B-series Engines.

Also your stock crank is good up to about 3 times the power your going to make so there is no point in spending $900-2000 on a forged crank.

Now Rods are always a great thing to buy, They are what always breakes first(well rod bolts).

Buy some eagle rods as insurance, buy CTR pistons, use a OEM head gasket, A nice camshaft of your choice, and last but most important GET IT TUNED!

your compression with a LS head would be at about 11.6:1 according to this .:FFS TechNet : B-series CR Calculator :..

The most expensive part of the build is the head and any machine work.

Good luck and I hope I helped in any way.

I just wanted to say thanks guys you all helped out a lot i know now what i'm going to do with my build. I am still looking for places to get me machine work done though if anyone has that info! I live in the salem area. thanks again

Back