1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LS crank in GSR block?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by totalimpact, Aug 30, 2003.

1. totalimpact

totalimpact Junior Member

I have a B18C1 that I am currently driving, but want to put a hardened crank. I am having a hard time finding a GSR crank that I can send out to harden, and do not have time to let the car sit while I send the crank out. I can get a LS crank for nothing, but is it the same or as good as the GSR? Aren't there more timing teeth? Also I have heard (hearsay) that the LS cranks are not as strong - is this true?
    Thanks- John

2. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

don't double post dude.

the ls crank will fit, but you'll have to change out your rods too. the ls crank has a bit longer stroke than the gsr crank. so without ls rods (aftermarket or stock), you'd run your pistons into your head. i'm not sure about either crank being stronger. and this is just off the top of my head, so i'd get reassurance before doing anything.

3. dhaccordLT-R

dhaccordLT-R Senior Member

the ls crank does have a longer stroke, therefore you are going to get a lil bit more displacement out of your engine. id go with the ls crank, thats what my plans are for my gsr ;)

4. totalimpact

totalimpact Junior Member

Thanks a bunch for the info, sorry bout the double post, didnt notice till afterwards that this is where i should be.

Also - is there any difference between the crank timing gears on these two?

From reading some of the FAQ posts it seems like the GSR has a different timing belt setup due to a bigger oil pump for V-tech, is this just because of the oil pump, or is there also a difference in the crank gear?

Thanks

5. hooktupciv95

hooktupciv95 Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted