LS motor eats Gas,need some opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

ok i got a b18a in a 91 crx hf...the whole swap was done perfect (except the car was idling at 2,000 when i got it..vacuums were mixed up,now it idles at 1200 and 1500..which is still bad)...but when i got the car,it was eating gas..and it continues to eat gas...now the ecu throws a code 43,which is fuel supply system..which is either the filter,or the pump...and plus the car is running rich as well (bought a universal o2 sensor,puttin it in on sunday)...i know if i can find out whether its the filter or pump,it will make a big difference,same with changing the bad o2 sensor..but the CEL comes on only when i drive it for a while,or hammer it once and a while...and sometimes the idle drops to like 300 and i have to rev it up to get the idle to come back to 1000...anyone got any ideas of whats goin on?

It doesn't sound like the swap was done perfectly to me. Make sure all you vaccuum hoses are connected properly. Make sure that the idle adjust valve is adjusted right, other than that, I don't know. Usually if the pump is working, it is either on or off. Intermittent problems will always be a pain. I'd replace the fuel filter just to be on the safe side. That o2 sensor needs to work, otherwise your motor will run rich, no questions asked, so if yours doesn't, replace that first, reset the ecu, and see if that cures your problem before you go replacing anything expensive.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Feb 24 2005, 05:25 PM
running a CEL will also eat gas just by the nature of the beast...

CEL = limp mode = run RICH
[post=465808]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Ya and by putting that new o2 sensor in it with out fixing the problem (assuming the sensor is not the problem) running it rich will poison it. Make sure all the emission controls are all hooked up and working properly and the vacuum lines are all there and where they should be.

i had a customer car, with same issue that was caused by aftermarket O2 sensor, make sure you have oem, your running the mathcing ecu pr4, i assume

I had a problem with my car sucking a lot of gas, I changed the ecu and now its gets better gas mileage. make sure you have the right ecu that matches your motor.

Back