ls or b16 trans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93y7

i have read alot about which trans to use. i have a turbo ls with a b16 trans. all i do is spin. some say that the ls trans is better for boost. im dynoing it again monday to see where my peak power is because i forget. with the b16 trans somehow at the end of the track i have 4th gear to 7000 rpms and only trapping at 92-94 mph. which trans would be better and why. please dont just say longer gearing because i would like to know why longer gearing is better. i was thinking maybe because when i shift i go down to 5500 and im almost out of peak power

LS has longer gears so you can stay in the boost longer. You'll be slower off the line and to the 60' but your trap speed will jump up quite a bit.

Post your numbers... You should be trapping alot higher. Also, you on slicks? Street tires?

radials. i was spinning and got 94 not spinning and got 92. my 60 ft spinning was a 2.5. will i run faster 1/4 time with ls trans?

you should be able to get your 60 ft time down to a 2.2-2.3 with either transmission on street tires. work on your launch some more. i race at moroso with some other guys with integras and everyone can hit 2.2-2.3 regardless of what transmission, and thats not even boosted. i hit 92 mph trap speed with only 160 whp in a 2700lb teg. and my friends bolton gsr hits 95 mph.

just curious, what kind of wheel horsepower do you have?

i think that changing to a LS transmission probably would not change your 1/4 mile et very much. if you had very high horsepower it might make more of a difference. i think traction is the more the issue, compared to staying in boost longer...

Last edited:
60 ft 2.5052
330 ft 6.5481
et @594 ft 9.1482
1/8 et 9.7251
1/8 mph 77.98
1/4 et 14.8531
1/4 mph 94.57

i think the gearing does it. i full spool by 3000 rpms. i shift and i only go down to 5500 and redline at 7200

I ran faster then that with an full interior LS swapped EG Si with I/H/E (14.78)
And everyone's right about 2.2-2.3 (2.2 is a very good launch)

So even with a 2.5 60ft....you should be in the low low 14's or high 13's with your set up @ 8lbs

the track i went to is notorious for bad times. my friend has a built gsr with b16 head pushing 360 and only ran a 13 8 there. track is very slick

If its notoriously slick....you should be fine with 8" slicks. Axles should hold up better on a slick track....better then if it was a sticky track
I would at least try finding someone's to borrow or buy used (to see the time difference at least)

Back