1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ls pumps

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by korey, Aug 25, 2004.

1. korey

korey Senior Member

I was wondering if there were any advantages in changing my Ls water and oil pumps to gsr or type r pumps? I need these pumps to help finish my build so I wanted to ask before I bought anything. The motor is a plain b18b1 all-motor. Thanx for any input or suggestions.

2. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

they are geared differently and thus will spin faster, usually better for high revving engines (commonly used in ls/vtec engines etc)

3. korey

korey Senior Member

Would they be any help to a straight ls, with no vtec? Also, will the different gearing change anything ( i.e. need different parts than ls? )

4. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

I was under the impression that the ls water pump spun too fast for the higher rpms, and therefore cavitated the water, but may I heard wrong. The vtec oil pumps have to put out higher pressure to run the vtec and the oil squirters that the ls doesn't have. Having vtec pumps will just aid you in the event that you like to rev high all the time. For just average joe driving, the stock pumps are fine. Just don't rev alot with the ls oil pump or you'l soon be spinning bearing. I did.

5. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

you know what.. i think you are right and i am incorrect. but either way you want to use an oil pump from a gsr/itr/b16

6. MikeBergy

definitely get a vtec oil pump. And an oem vtec oil cooler if you can find one. The type that fits behind the oil filter.

7. korey

korey Senior Member

ok, so it looks like the verdict is to get a vtec oil pump and the ls water pump is fine. What does this mean for belts, etc? Which parts would i use with the vtec pump? Thanx for patience and answers.

8. MikeBergy

Get the belt that corresponds with the water pump you buy.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted