LS tranny on my ITR swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am running a LS tranny with my ITR swap.. I think this tranny is BULL****!! I have a VAFC2, will this help me out with this SH**TY tranny? What's your opinion on this tranny.. Am I missing out on the potential of my swap? Thanks!

a vafc has nothing to do with gearing.

:confused:

you're mising out on a tighter gear box, and thus, a better power band per gear.

but now, you can do 170 mph and get better gas mileage

The problem with this tranny is that it hits vtec at around 6200 rpm and once I am at 7000 or more rpm... once i shift my rpm drops down to 5000 rpm... I dunno if the VAFC will help if i change my vtec xover to 5500 rpm...

Get rid of that gay LS tranny and buy a JDM ITR unit with the 4.785 final drive. You'll thank yourself as soon as you start shifting. :)

your tranny has nothing to do with where vtec engages.

but an ls tranny SUCKS. yeah, you can tell yourself 'well, i get good gas mileage and huge top end' and feel better, but once you've driven on an itr trans you'll NEVER go back. if you want a quick car, youre gonna have to say fuck gas mileage....

iono about the 'ls 5th on itr tranny' idea though...i usually hit 5th in a quarter, and the itr 5th is shorter than the ls 5th (duh), and it seems like that'd slow you down a bit if you had a longer gear at the end....i dunno though.

I know that the first and second gear ratios are the same on the ls and GSR. Third is where the ls gears get longer. They make good turbo trannys, but thats about it.

Originally posted by mtmetzger@Feb 18 2004, 09:45 AM
I know that the first and second gear ratios are the same on the ls and GSR. Third is where the ls gears get longer. They make good turbo trannys, but thats about it.

ahhh another misconception......

Originally posted by BLKCIVICPN0I@Feb 18 2004, 02:30 AM
. I dunno if the VAFC will help if i change my vtec xover to 5500 rpm...

you'll go even slower

GSRCRXsi Posted on Feb 18 2004, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (mtmetzger @ Feb 18 2004, 09:45 AM)

Could you please explain this to me, because as of now I had been planning to use my 90-93 LS tranny on my boosted B18C5 set-up. Now I'm confused... :unsure:

Originally posted by MugenCRX+Feb 18 2004, 04:32 PM-->
GSRCRXsi Posted on Feb 18 2004, 10:02 AM
  QUOTE (mtmetzger @ Feb 18 2004, 09:45 AM)

Could you please explain this to me, because as of now I had been planning to use my 90-93 LS tranny on my boosted B18C5 set-up. Now I'm confused... :unsure:

How much power are you going for? 500+ you would be better off getting an LS tranny IMO. Anything less, a GSR tranny would suit you best. You want longer gears for turbo but not so much so that you finish the quarter with a lot of RPM's left in 4th.

civicious

i usually hit 5th in a quarter

You should never have to hit 5th in a quarter, you are shifting to early. 5th slows you down too much and is unneccessary.

You should never have to hit 5th in a quarter, you are shifting to early. 5th slows you down too much and is unneccessary.

um...not on an itr tranny....

4th gear tops out at like 100 or so, and 5th takes me all the way past 145....it pulls all the way through 5th......

shifting at 8100 isn't too early, last i heard.

you're driven on the track 1 time right? and on that one time, the only good run was by your friend and it was a 15.1 @90ish according to your sig- so what the hell are you talking about hitting 5th in the quarter mile and going all the way passed 145?

never said i hit 145 on the track.i ran 3 or 4 times on the track, and my best time was a 15.6

course now what you said makes sense....when im running on the STREET i usually hit 5th, but then again the street we run on is probably a bit longer than a quarter mile.....i guess a more appropriate way to word it would be 'when racing on the street, i usually hit 5th gear, and a little over 100 mph or so'

but ive never said i hit 145 on a track, or racing someone. 145 was me just out on my own having fun...and on my itr trans, it continues to pull through 5th...4.78whatever final drive ownz j00! thats part of why i get shitty gas mileage...

sorry bout that.

general rule of thumb for hondas is 30mph in each gear till redline, this is about how it is in my b16 del sol and my h22 teg, you should be way the hell past 100 comin out of 4th into 5th more around 120ish

Originally posted by BLKCIVICPN0I@Feb 18 2004, 02:05 AM
I am running a LS tranny with my ITR swap..

Thats like a Great Dane fucking a Chiwawa

Back