Ls Turbo Inquiry

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5thGenLuvin

I know the LST's and LSVTEC's get talked into the ground but I haven't seen this answered yet. I am swapping a B18B1 into my EG Hatch and want a little more power then the LS can simply put out. I am shooting around the 200hp range for starts. I know the LSVTEC with proper engine overhaul/overbore/I:H:E etc. can be an excellent allmotor and easily hit 200. So can the Built up and turbo'd LS motor.... But what about the LS/VTEC Turbo... I noticed threw alot of articles and mere facts, that using the GSR head on the B18B block will further increase the Compression ratio in a 10.1 kind of area... Typically you want to keep that comp down in a turbo setup, 8.1 seems to be the magic number. So I wonder basically if doing an LS/VTEC then turboing it will be working against myself, and if I should either so LSVTEC allmotor build or LS Turbo build and forget the 3 together.

Basically I just need some fedback to prevent myself from going down 2 roads at once, and ending up in the ditch between them:p

NA is the expensive way to go slow....imho...

i would do the lsv first with some forged intermals and a 9.8:1 CR.....and then start putting together a turbo kit.....

Good Idea, but that's the most expensive way to go... but you do get what you pay for...

I was thinking boring to a 2.0L with a C1 head which I already have... with a completely build engine, crank, rods, pistonds, springs, retainers... everything... But if you overbore, and add a larger capacity head, how do you go about lowering compression ratio... this is one thing that is very "grey area" to me.

you said you are getting pistons, buy the specific cr that you are looking for. but i will tell you that a stock ls can and will put out 300whp.

A built LSV-T should make 300 hp easily, probably close to 400 if you use the right parts.

An LSV, semi built will hit 200 hp.

A stock LS-T will make 200+ hp no problem.

I wouldn't push it past 275 on a stock block. It can be done, but I doubt it will last very long.

Back