1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ls/vtec help

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by raifordmotors, Sep 7, 2004.

1. raifordmotors

raifordmotors Member

i have a 96 ls 75 k and a gsr head complete with type r cams and obx cam gears im changing the oil pump now my question for you guys can i run stock bottom end except for oil pump? or do i have to get pistons.i have ls head gasket, chipped p28 ecu new ls water pump and timing belt+allthe oil lines etc.and what would be the difference in power and torqe if any?

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

But the long and short is, what power to expect depends on a lot of factors, and aftermarket parts made to make more power will do that.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

yup. a 9.5:1 vtec motor is pretty weak.

4. raifordmotors

raifordmotors Member

can someone answer the question Do you need to change pistons or can you run with ls bottom end except for oil pump.

if i ran this set up with jdm type r pistons what would be the hp and torqe
    if i ran this set up with ctr what would be the hp
    and if i ran it with ls pistons what would be the hp

5. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

no one can answer your questions with how much power you will make. it depends on a LOT of things. however, all things being equal, i can tell you that the CTR pistons will yield the highest compression ratio (12.x:1 range) the ITR pistons will be the next highest (11.x:1 range) and the ls pistons willl be the lowest (9.x:1). generally higer compression means more power. of course this is all assuming that everything is built correctly too.

my suggestion would be to run b16 pistons. they will yield even higher compression then the ITR pistons (high 11.x:1 range), and will attach to your LS rods with no modification (ITR/CTR requires a bit of modifying to either rod or piston to get them to fit)

6. kmcrvtec

kmcrvtec Junior Member

you'll hit high 14's but, this set-up is better for tubocharging, if your plan is N/A go for higher comp. like itr or ctr.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted