ls/vtec integra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silverfox

hi i have a 95 integra with the b18b motor. i want to build a respectable engine that can be used safely as a daily driver. im also into vtec setups, not turbo or nos setups. trading in the car for a vtec or a vtec engine swap are not options for me. im not after the fastest car in the world and im happy with just a sorta basic vtec setup. also i have cashflow issues. basically im bad at saving so its only possible for me to save up bit at a time as opposed to saving up a big amount of cash to spend.

so with this background in mind im interested in building a ls/vtec motor as this seems to be an option that suits all my needs. i want to put a vtec head onto my stock b18b block then slowly build up the internals as i save more money. but to begin with i just want to put the vtec head onto the stock unbuilt block.

this basic setup will include such things as changing oil pump etc...but just not the block internals just yet. i just want to start off with the minimum basic setup and go from there.

in regards to reliabilty, im happy to live with a bit of extra wear n tear in my engine as long as nothing comes breaking thru the cylinder walls! when i save up more cash i will then change the rods, pistons, cams etc.

which head will suit my needs the best to put onto the b18b block? the b16a, b18c or the type-r head? and how high can i rev the engine with this setup before its not considered safe anymore? currently my b18b revs to 6800rpm. im happy if the ls/vtec setup just revs to around 8000rpm safely on stock internals.

what power output should i expect with this basic setup?

what will be the best crossover point that i should set the vtec to kick in with a vtec controller with this setup?

how much will this basic setup cost as well? ie. parts & labor...

basically if im able to get a reliable ls/vtec setup that revs to around 8000rpm, that beats other standard integras (except for the type-r of course), is a reliable daily driver and all this being cheaper then a total engine swap, i would be over the moon!

sorry for being so longwinded. its just cos ive done a lil bit of research and i sorta only have this option to pursue. thats y im so specific with the details! any feedback is appreciated. thanks!!!

Well, not sure what to tell you other than I always built the motor once, while it was out of the car. This way I don't have to tear the motor apart in the future unless some shit goes down. In your case, I would do the following.

Now as for parts you will need with either motor. These are NEEDS not WANTS. They are a part of either build and will not be listed in the motors simply because we will assume you will get them.
1. New rod and main bearings. Please dont ask what kind ya need. they are different for every motor.
2. New head gasket, Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, Oil return gasket, oil filter
3. Thrust washers
4. fittings for running the external oil line.
5. You must have the entire rotating assembly balanced!!!!!!!
6. New VTEC Water pump.
7. New VTEC oil pump.
8. New VTEC Timing belt.
9. BE SURE TO MATCH THE WATER PUMP AND TIMING BELT. VTEC=VTEC and Non-vtec=Non-vtec. otherwise your car will
die a very painfull death.!
10. We both prefer ARP bolts to stock. Stock is usable but ARP is cheap insurance.

---------
LSVTEC block MILD: (250) which you already have
CTR/TYPE-R pistons (330)
LS rods (get them shotpeened)
---------

This would be a cheaper route, but why not sink some cash into the rods and sleeves and have the opportunity to rev it out to 10k if you wanted to. What ever you do don't just slap it together and think you will get away from it.

head I would go with really any VTEC, to make it easier and less costly go with a B16 head since they already have a decent intake manny and they are widly abundant. Cheapest of the vtec heads also.

You are also going to need a ecu with a base map on it.

Milan

thanks for the info...much appreciated!

just wanna ask another q...u said i could rev up to 10k...but is dat really necessary....
i read somewhere dat said that ls/vtec max power comes in ard 8200rpm (but ino its diff for diff setups, cams etc)

lets say i get all my shit together and i dyno it and the peak comes in at 8200rpm...wat should i set the rev limit to?

stupid question ino, sorry!! =P

I have been studying up on this set up and b20/vtec. Stock this motor will have 165-170 hp and 140-145 torque.

using a b16a head on completely stock internals, youll probably find that your max power is around 7800rpm which would give you a redline of 8200rpm, the 10k rpm he mentioned was with the assumption you took his advice and got rods and sleeves

stock? what is stock for an lsvtec?? ls block with a bone stock VTEC head slapped on?

that will in no way shape or form make 140 ft lbs of torque.

my lsvtec made 185/138.5 and it's running 12:1 compression with CTR cams

Back