ls/vtec motors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jinstuh

i was debaiting with my friends earlier today about hybrid b series motors but yet still there are 2 different responces. one crowd says "its really unreliable cause the non vtec blocks weren't made for it and it can blow" or "as long as you build it right, then it'll be fine"

well i have a ls/vtec and it drives fine and runs smooth..just goes through oil a little faster then normal but its okay. i dont know i would like to hear other peoples opinion about it. can ls/vtec be reliable or just too damn risky? what makes it so damn unreliable?i mean i have bullet proof block but people still say it'lll blow on me one day, im like ummm...maybe if i drive it hard all the time..

shitty build = unreliable
built right = as good or better than an engine honda built

i agree with E_SolSi's answer. As long as the build was done right, with no cut corners, then the block should last you a long time. The people that take the parts to a shop that is not familiar with the Ls/Vtec build, are the ones saying they are unreliable.

The big factor in most LSVtec's is the LS oil main clearences for the crank are slightly larger than most vtec motors, so when the oil pressure is needed in the top half of the motor they have been known to get deprived there needed oil pressure. This is why most "reliable" LSVtec's are running TODA or type R oil pumps. The best way to resolve this problem is to have the crank mians measured and fitted with slightly tighter mian bearings. If you have a built bottom end any true engine builder would have made sure all the clearences on the mains and rods were apropraite for your aplication.

I GOT THE B18C1 HEAD WITH THE LS BLOCK, AEM CAM GEARS, COLD AIR IN A 1995 GSR. THE MOTOR TOOK 1 MONTH TO BUILD. IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT. IT WAS DONE RIGHT NICE AND CLEAN. SO 3 MONTHS WENT BY AND YES I DROVE IT HARD. THE ONLY 2 PROBLEMS I HAVE IS I CANT FIND 1 OIL LEAK! IT LEAKS TO THE MANIFOLD AND SMELLS. I CHECK THE OIL EVERY WK. IT RARELY NEEDS ANY. THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THE KNOCK SENSOR WAS NOT INSTALLED, SO THERE GOES THE CHECK ENGINE LITE! V-TEC WORKS. I TRIED IT ALL TO CLEAR THAT CODE (23). SO ANY HELP I WOULD LEND AN EAR TO. IT IS A GOOD SWAP...GO FOR IT, ITS ALSO IS MY DAILY DRIVER, MY WIFE LOVES IT!

Back