Ls/vtec or B20vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondachris1994

I gettin ready to build a motor and cant decide which 1 will b more reliable daily driven car
Here's what im gonna build

1.B20 orLS block
2.JE 11.5 or 12.5 pistons
3.Eagle rods
4.Golden Eagle conversion kit
5.ARP head studs
6.ARP rod studs
7.B16/B18c Water Pump ------ B18c Timing Belt
8.main and rod bearings
9.B16/B18C oil pump
10.Oil pan gasket, rear main seal,thrust washers
11.B16 head stage 2 cams(crower) upgraded valve train and head shaved all the way
Which motor would b better and more reliable to build?

They are nearly identical blocks. There are always things going around that say the b20 has thinner cylinder walls, but if you built it right, it should be fine. And you are staying NA, in which case I would say go with the b20, for more displacement. If you were going turbo, I'd say either get a b20 and sleeve it, or get the b18 (for thicker cylinder walls, it actually means something in the turdo world).

if your worried about the cylinder wall weakness just devcon the block that works damn good,i built a b20 vtec and im very happy with it,13.7 in the quater with a full weight four door eg

dev con is a type of liquid aluminum, and is perfect for sleeve blocks, there is a write up about it in the articles sections by hotrex and it works nicely.

the only diference between the two blocks is the b18 has an 81mm bore while the b20 has an 84mm bore giving it the extra displacement.
so make your decision based on that.

the b18 block costs about 1/2-1/3 the price of a right b20 block, and depending on how much you spend to get it bored out could be a less expensive routh to get 1973cc of displacement.

oh yeah, lower compression will always make tuning/drivabilty more accessable

the sleeves are only vulnerable to a bad tune.

so get the b20, leave the sleeves alone get forged internals and go to town.

make sure to budget for tuning and dyno time, otherwise the b20 will be a nightmare.

http://b20vtec.com

Back