ls/vtec or gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just stick with the ls/vtec. Throw in some forged rods and low compression pistons. Get a good tune for your setup, and throw a good turbo on there. You will have some good low end torque and some higer horsepower. No all motor build without spending a shit load of money will get you the power of a turbo. But yeah use the search button.

blanco is right, i did a lot of planning and reading before i built my ls/vtec. i spent about 6k after all was said and done and i did a budget build and im no where near 200whp. i dont recommend an lsvtec build from what i hear you saying, this motor if built incorrectly will be toast quickly.

ok i figured out i will go with the ls/vtec i like the idea of something different
:lol: :lol: :lol: if you think anything that you do to your Honda is different then I feel very, very sorry for you. If you wanna be different, you should of never bought a Honda. Oh, since when is it different to have the same motor as millions of other Honda enthusiast?

Next, getting 200whp all-motor will require you spending most of your budget and will require mods that are not going to be turbo friendly..

This statement couldn't be anymore true. I just finished building my N/A Ls/vtec and at the moment I get 220 whp and I've spent close to 7k in the engine and I havent' even got it properly tuned yet (more money). A turbo is definatly out of the question for me now.

I'm a fan of the ls/vtec because it's NOT unique. All through the build I was able to find quick parts and alot of resources to help me through it. Listen to these guys but stop wasting your time asking what build you should go with, you should make that decision yourself after doing your own homework. When you start building and need advice then get some guidence.

like i said before building is something iam not worried about tunning is something iam not worried about. when i said something different here where i live these young kids only drop in h22 fully built and k20 which iam not all about those motor they come built nice hp already i wanna sleeper motor like the ls vtec i was just asking which will be a better build if i went all out just wanted to see what ppl recommend and say iam not a honda motor head i only do miner work for hondas but i know how to build them i just dont know the motor like which one will be a good beast on the street with turbo.

Turbo hondas make poor sleepers. Once you roll up everyone will hear the turbo (unless their stupid) the Ls/vtec is a good sleeper N/A because to the untrained eye it looks just like a stock b18c. Get a forged rotating assembly, high comp pistons (JE/SRP), lightened flywheel full valve train upgrade and some beefy cams and of course intake headers exhaust and you'll have a sleeper (tune it of course). Add a hidden shot of nos and you can even take alot of turbos. That's my opinion.

what is a sleeper engine? does that mean you roll up to ppl with your hood open and let them look at it? I know of a sleeper car because typically if you race someone they only see the outside of your car.

A real sleeper would be a sohc d16a mini me with LOTS of work putting 170whp down then racing b16s and stuff and blowing them away.

The big oil feed line at the back of the head will be a BIG give away.

Pretty much a sleeper is a car that doesn't look like there is any serious performance mods done to it. For instance a turbo is hard to hide so that car is not really a sleeper. where as an LS/Vtec can be completely built from the inside and still look like a b18c. So people underestimate the car, pull up to the line and get spanked.

Some sleeper builders will keep there hood closed and just let the exterior of their car remain stock, but a good sleeper isn't scared to let people see the engine it only enhances the deciet.

I like to think mine is a sleeper. Its no rust bucket or anything but its all stock on the exterior.

I created a psychological sleeper. When I bought my car it had a banged up kit and bad paint on it with rims, the rims have since gotten stollen and now I run on steelies. I have an Ls/Vtec pretty much fully built but if you open the hood all you see is and intake and exhaust on a "GSR" engine. I also have a little somthing in a bottle just in case.

Pretty much I try to give the impression I have only bolt ons and a stock b18. Ha suckas.

Ok dude, I'm going to tell you this straight up. You need to shut up and listen to what people are trying to tell you. You're so full of misinformation that it's actually sad.

If you bore an 81mm bore to 84mm you won't be able to run anything on it. If you get a block that comes with 84mm bores, it's not going to break. If you want to spend an extra thousand dollars, sleeve your B18 to 84mm. Huge waste of money. Huge. That could pay for most of your turbo.

Next, getting 200whp all-motor will require you spending most of your budget and will require mods that are not going to be turbo friendly. The cam will be high over-lap and low duration which will blow all of your boost out of the exhaust ports on the compression strokes. The head will have to optimized to flow at high rpms and the flow will be geared towards an all-motor application. The compression will be so high that you'll more likely than not have to run race fuel or spend several hours on the dyno at $150/hr.. You'll need a header that will cost $1k by itself. You need to make up your mind on which build you want.

If you don't do your own research your engine will blow up within the first few thousand miles. I don't buy for a second that you have any experience with engine building. Maybe lawn mower and weed eater engines, to be fair.

If you aren't ready to learn, you won't get any further answers. We help people who help themselves and leave those who want to be spoon fed to fend for themselves.

im with you on this topic...
hes trying to build a turbo motor with high compression and make over 200hp???
im sorry im just lost because hes changing his mind every post..

LS/VTEC's ARE HORRIBLE if the LS motor was supposed to be VTEC Honda would have made it that way I don't mess with the frankistine's TMP(too many problems)

you've never seen them built right. Or you just don't know and your re stating other peoples claims.

I had 2 lsvtecs. and i have seen many turboed ones making good power with no problems. Its all in how you put it together. People just dont realize how important it is. You dont just slap a vtec head and go to town. My first lsvtec had pr3 pistons and gsr cams. it made more power than a gsr by far and lasted through 2 owners who beat the living shit out of it for 6yrs. Not to mention they were running obd 0 with a stock pw0 ecu. oh and stock water and oil pumps. Yes its a miracle but imagine how much longer they would last if you just take the extra precuations and build it RIGHT.

I vote gsr since you have no idea what you want and def. have no building or Honda engine knowledge. I say not just to say it. i say it by what you have been posting.

Stop posting and start reading!!!!!!!!!!

LS/VTEC's ARE HORRIBLE if the LS motor was supposed to be VTEC Honda would have made it that way I don't mess with the frankistine's TMP(too many problems)

They did build it. It's called a type R. the head is a pr3 on a 1.8block. No they are not the same but the idea is. The reason lsvtecs were thought of was that we could have a more displacement(torque) without paying a higher price for a gsr. Same idea when the B20 came out.

Like you said

They did build it. It's called a type R. the head is a pr3 on a 1.8block. No they are not the same but the idea is. The reason lsvtecs were thought of was that we could have a more displacement(torque) without paying a higher price for a gsr. Same idea when the B20 came out.
The only thing the same is the idea! I understand that people like to save money but I watched people try that and waste more money than if the had just bought a GSR! My friend has one (ls/vtec)now he's been trying to sell forever big waste of money he ended up just buying a B20 for integ the ls/vtec is just sitting in his garage collecting dust if anyone wants it hit up my email or myspace and I'll let him know!

Back