Ls/vtec Or Ls Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic_88ls

I have a 88 civic and i have a ls motor in it now. ANd i want to either do ls vtec and build it or build it for turbo and turbocharge it. I cant really decide which one i should do. it wont be a while before i do all this cuz im broke, but i think i really want to turbo charge it and build it but i hear people always talk about how great a ls/vtec is and i just want some opinions on what i should do. I want to keep it streeetable but still be pretty damn fast.

Ls/vtec is mad expensive depending on your personal expertise/parts sources. However it is pretty much the definition of a good streetable modification. It makes good power too. The thing is, if you build an Ls/vtec, generally people go for na modification from that point - unless your really serious and know what your doing. Turbo can probably be built for a little less cost, and a little easier, and the instant potential and return of a turbo is somewhat higher than an ls/vtec setup. If anything it is a close race, and a decision to be made by how much money you have and how much expertise in engine building. I'm sure others will have much to add

I disagree... the VTEC head swap will cost less than the turbo, unless you go with a junkyard turbo setup. It will also make less power, but you're not dealing all the little gremlins that come along with a turbo Honda engine. That's not to say that a VTEC conversion doesn't have its own share of issues as well....

Yeah to me it is a really close race between which one i would want. If i go turbo, it wouldnt be a junkyard setup. i would want at least about 15 psi which means i will build it. I like the sound of turbo and the look of a fatty intercooler in the front of my car. but if i do go vtec, i would keep it N/A and it would be fast there too. :unsure:

I say go turbo. You can do some internals and get a turbo for like a total of $3500 if you know where to shop and where to get stuff installed. Start hanging out at a local shop, make friends and get cheaper work. :D I am building a Ls Turbo and i totalled all my parts and labor which i am doing most myself and it'll run me $5000 and i will be running 12s. Plus it'll be pretty streetable. I head Ls/Vtec rocks balls though too. So your preference.

Well to respond to the pro Ls/vtec'r, I would say that it is really easy to fuck up an ls/vtec if you don't know what your doing. Thats why I say it depends on the experiance of you and your mechanics. There are many little resizing quirks when mating the two parts of the motor, and missing them can result in a motor that appears to be fine - but really lacks long term worth and even quality. Turbo has less quirks, and they are all extensively covered in guides. In my opinion it is more straight forward.

In my opinion unless you know what you are doing or know someone who does, don't go LS/Vtec. I have had had bad expirences with these motors in the past. Right now i am setting up a LS-Turbo and using some used parts and peicing it together myself, I'll definatly have more horsepower for dollar than with the LS/Vtec. If you do however want to go with the LS/Vtec don't try to pinch any pnnies with it. I beleive that is what screwed me in the past. Good luck in what ever you decide.

I thought that it was easy ( using the word easy loosely) to turn a ls motor to vtec? Correct me if im work because i wanted to do this and possibly turbo in the future... but if it wont be reilable then scratch that ill just go turbo....

Back