LS/Vtec questions???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

importdj

Import DJ
I have a B18b1 and I am building it for all motor. I plan on putting civic type-r pistons and ls rods with ls crank. Gsr head with all type-r internals. I would like to know more about the LS/vtec internal options. I have heard that an LS block with a gsr head gets the most compression.??? Does anybody mind helping me out. Thanx

Personally, I like the b16 head over the gsr. Simply because it flows better. A benefit from the gsr head is that they have smaller combustion chambers, and the compression will be slightly higher.
For example, Gsr head with ctr pistons, ls rods and crankshaft, will yield (with an oem head gasket), around 12.5:1 - 12.6:1 depending on how much has been surfaced from the head. This being that the block does not get decked (not needed unless badly warped). Same setup, using a b16a head will yield around 12.3:1 - 12.4:1. ITR internals is the way to go, especially ITR cams. Just keep in mind that a long rod stroke does not mix well with high rpm's, especially using the ctr pistons (cast, not forged). Cast pistons will break at high rpm...I know because I have broken them at 9k. :) If you use the LS rods, they will have to be machined. 0.050 off the wrist pin end (both sides) so the rod fits the piston with enough clearance on both sides.

Last edited:
The GSR head also has quench pads on it.

My pick would be the gsr head ported to make up for the flow differences from the b16 to gsr head. You get higher compression because of the smaller combustion chamber plus you get the quench pads which are nice when you are running high compression, nitrous, or turbo setups because it will supress detonation.

i'd do a b16 head... port n polish it.. duel springs and u pretty much have a type r head.... i'd go with a b16 head...

Back