LS/VTEC questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Disnitch

I've been doing a lot of reading on here and other sites about this build up but I have some questions that I haven't found answers to yet.

First off the motor that my friend got me turns out to be an OBD-I motor instead of the OBD-II motor that I need. Since I am only going to be using the bottom end for the build does it really matter?
*edit* it is a 96+ B18B JDM motor and Japan never had OBD-II. However I found out what needs to be changed on the wiring harness and ecu to make this engine OBD-II compliant. No need to answer this question...

As far as heads go can I get any year B16 or B18C head and then just use and OBD-II distributor and intake manifold, or do I have to find a OBD-II head?
*Edit* I think I found the answer to this question as well. It sounds like the heads are all the same and most of the intake manifolds are the same as well. You just have to have the injectors and the distributor match whatever obd computer your running.

And last, is it an absolute must to replace the LS pistons? I know it's a pretty good idea to replace the rod bolts with some ARP's and that the oil pump and water pump should be replaced with GSR units, but I've been told the stock pistons will work.
*Edit* I know you can keep the LS pistons but you don't get a bump in compression like you would if you used B16 or CTR pistons.

If the LS pistons can be used can I just pull out the old Rod bolts and replace them with ARP's or do the rod bearings have to be replaced as well? The motor I have is extremely clean and has very low miles so I don't want to tear it all down and replace a bunch of stuff that is barely used if I don't have to.

This isn't going to be a race car so I don't plan on spinning the motor past 8k rpm ever...

Thanks...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I found the correct answers to my first couple questions but still need to know about the last one. I know you have to upgrade the oil pump, water pump, and timing belt to GSR units. Do you also have to upgrade the crank pulley to a GSR unit or can you get the LS one balanced?

if your jusdt refering to the crank, you shouldnt need to have it balanced, honda does a good enough job from the factory. you dont have to swap the pistons, but if its not going to be "raced" then why are you building a motor like this? btw not positive, but using a different OBD distributor than the head might require you to modify the distributor bolting, so keep that in mind for future research. other than that, you've answered yourself lol

I was referring to the crank pulley, not the crank itself. I want GSR power without the GSR price tag, thats why I want to put the VTEC head on the B18B block. Ideally I would like to get away with just putting the head on and adding the GSR water pump and oil pump and be on my merry way, but I think the Rod bolts would be a pretty good insurance policy if I can simply take the old ones out and put ARP's in. This car will be a daily driver, but I want it to at least be a fun daily driver that I can goof off in from time to time...

I'll have to look into the distributor bolting, everything I've read makes it sound like they are all interchangeable regardless what OBD the head and distributor are. I need to find this out soon though because I've already found a few heads for good prices.

Back