ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blick2319

I'm in the process of building an all motor ls/vtec. SO far i have a 90 ls bottom with a 2000 gsr head. What pistons and rods should i use to keep the car dependable but still maek alot of hp? I'm kinda new to this engine building so any info you have please let me know.

personally i prefer to use Eagle Rods [H beams] and maybe some Arias or JE Pistons... Wiseco has alot of "followers/believers" here on hondaswap but personally i have never used them so i cant honestly back them yet

good luck

B)

Wiseco gets a :thumbsup: from me. Mine are great.

If you plan on staying all-motor then stick with OEM pistons. P30's or PCT CTR's. They are cheaper!!!! I used PCT CTR pistons on my shotpeened LS rods. Bill at Hendrins racing told me that a shotpeened stock rod will always be better than an aluminum one for a daily driven car.I guess because they don't stretch like aftermarket ones. I dont know if what he says is true or not.

seen the eagle rod snap like butter on my buddies type R build that was done by T.O.O. but then again just because it's aftermarket doesn't mean that it every single rod will hold with any amount of stress put on it.

thanks for all the info and help i got. I think i'll prob jsut have oem ctr pistons adn keep my stock rods with arp bolts and shotpeened. What does pct stand for when u say pct ctr?

Originally posted by blick2319@Dec 3 2003, 12:46 AM
thanks for all the info and help i got. I think i'll prob jsut have oem ctr pistons adn keep my stock rods with arp bolts and shotpeened. What does pct stand for when u say pct ctr?

It is part of the description. (B16B EK9 PCT CTR pistons.)

what actually makes a ls better for torque.....i think its the r/s ratio but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a gsr and swap the bottom end internals out instead of trying to piece the right stuff together? if so what would you have to change?

Originally posted by typesiracing@Dec 4 2003, 07:30 PM
what actually makes a ls better for torque.....i think its the r/s ratio but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a gsr and swap the bottom end internals out instead of trying to piece the right stuff together? if so what would you have to change?

more displacement

Originally posted by typesiracing@Dec 4 2003, 08:30 PM

I think it would be harder that way! Besides you would have to tear two motors completely down! Instead of just pulling the head off of two and replacing it on the LS.

If you use the GSR block with LS internals you will have the same bottome end geometry that you had with the LS bottom end.

except u have the oil squirters, which in turn will make the motor more reliable, its a good way to do it but you'd have to tear apart two blocks.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Dec 7 2003, 10:40 AM
How will that make the motor more reliable?

im guessing he means at higher RPMs... i agree somewhat only because im infatuated with going 10,000 rpms on my daily driven ls/vtec lol

but im happy with my 8700rpm shift point, i just wanna get a crank girdle next =)

Back