LSVTEC + CEL = NO VTEC = I NEED HELP PLEASE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've got a 93 civic coupe with an lsvtec, chipped p28 (chipped for DOHC) and a 95-96 b16 tranny (del sol). Here's the problem:
1st - the speedometer would stop working sometimes and then kick back on sometimes.

2nd - the speedometer stopped working all together but the rest of the guage cluster is fine.

3rd - threw CEL and my car went into safety mode (limp w/no vtec) , codes read 10 & 17 and that's IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor & VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

4th - checked & cleaned the connections to these sensors, reset the ecu, no luck...

5th- changed the top portion of the VSS....Still no luck

----------------SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE I'M GOING CRAZY WITHOUT VTEC------
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Well it obvously has to do with the VSS sensor. Have you done a continuity check of the wire between the engine bay connection and the ECU plug? That is where I would start, then put in a whole new VSS that is known good and see if that helps. No VSS = no VTEC :(

Thanks man, Yeah I pretty much figured the VSS CEL was the vtec problem but I didn't do a continuity check as of yet. I'll try that today. I've got a voltmeter, can you guide me through it?

Thanks again. :)

Well put one test lead on the VSS connector and the other lead on the ECU pin to see if the wire has a break in it. You will need longer test leads for your multimeter, but it isn't hard.

Okay we swapped out the VSS with a friend of mines, and had the same problem. I also heard from a guy on another site that the VSS will throw a CEL but will not send the car into limp mode (safety mode).

no vss = limp = no vtec. Did you check the circuit, and make sure you've got it pinned out to the right spot?

I'm going to try and run wires streight from the sensor to the pinout on the ecu, then I'm going to try another ecu but this ecu has been chipped for the internal mods that I have CTR pistons etc.....

if your ecu is chipped (With a vtec point burned on the chip), vtec should kick in regardless of the cel's. With a chipped ecu, VTEC is controlled by the rpm's, not the oil pressure/speed/etc like it would be stock.

Back