LSVTEC SETUP Qs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RiCe RoCcEt

hey, sup y'all, aite, here's my situation, i have a GSR head, im plannin to go LS/VTEC and put it in a EK. Here's what i know on setting up a LS/VTEC (ls bloc, vtec head, vtec water pump, vtec timing belt, new head gasket, VTEC oil line kit, and VTEC ECU)(tell me if im missing anything). Well my questions on a LS/VTEC setup is what's up with the GSR heads? i've heard something about butterfly valves. should i sell the GSR head for a B16? Here's what I'm planning to do with the GSR head, CTR cams, and rebuild the head with ITR internals. Along with a port and polish. Would i get more power out of a B16 head with the same setup? Next question would be about the bottom end, do I keep stock LS? And what's the max i can have my displacement without anything fuckin up? Because I saw this Crower Stroker Kit I want that torque :) . Well I guess that's all the questions i have for right now, if you anyone can help me out, I really appriciate it, please no put down :( THANKS

it all depends on what route you are taking , most people just grab what head they can find , if u go with the gsr head switch the i/m to type r or some thing ridding ur self of the dual butterfly just imo

alright thanks alot on helping picking which head i should use, now with the bottom end, do i keep it stock? and after a while imma want to upgrade the bottom end, what is my max Bore/Stoke/Displacement (Crower Stroker Kit) without anything going wrong, or me having to worry about my motor? THANKS

Originally posted by RiCe RoCcEt@Nov 17 2004, 04:21 AM
alright thanks alot on helping picking which head i should use, now with the bottom end, do i keep it stock? and after a while imma want to upgrade the bottom end, what is my max Bore/Stoke/Displacement (Crower Stroker Kit) without anything going wrong, or me having to worry about my motor? THANKS
[post=418146]Quoted post[/post]​

Build the bottom end first, fuck the head. both heads with withstand more power and higher reving that the stock LS block. Spend the money on good rods and forged pistons. Also I cannot stress enough to use a lower block girdle(either a GSR or aftermarket like z10) Remember when you use a lower girdle, you MUST use the GSR main caps, windage tray, oil pick up and oil pan. Sounds like you would have a good combe, but to put that kinda $$$ into the head and run on a stock block, seems like disaster in my opinion. It not the cheapest motor in the world to build, but built right will yeaild some serious power. As far as displacement, don't go over Honda's .25 overbore unless you steel sleeve.

matt

Originally posted by RiCe RoCcEt@Nov 18 2004, 01:43 AM
can anyone suggest any good pistons and rods? and what are my crankshaft options? thanks
[post=418627]Quoted post[/post]​

Pistons - JE, arias, srp, toda, ross, cp, ib

Rods - eagle, crower, scat, manely

Crank - scat

for OEM parts, what are my options? can i use a ITR crank, rods, and pistons?

if you are concerned about displacement keep the ls crank. If you replace it with another crank it really isn't an LSvtec anymore really and if you do replace all of these things(crank, rods, oil pump, water pump, etc.) why don't you just buy a vtec block.

Back