Magnaflow 2.25" exhaust, First Impression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I just bolted this baby up today, with a magnaflow high flow cat as well. Some points to note if you are planning to install a magnaflow 2.25" exhaust (part no. 15645) and a magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter (part no. 22636) on your EG hatch:

1. I had to pry out a bracket under the rear bumper that was in the way of the magnaflow muffler. I used a standard pry bar, and then the claw of my framing hammer. You really gotta lift up on that fucker to get it off, but it only took a few seconds once I got the bar wedged in there. I have no idea what that bracket was for, but nothing was bolted to it.

2. When removing the old exhaust, I started at the header/cat flange, and worked my way back. This seemed to work pretty well.

3. When installing the new exhaust, I found it was easiest to bolt the cat to the resonator section before installing it, that way you can use the hangers on the resonator section to hold it up while you're fucking with the spring bolts on the header/cat flange.

4. When putting the rubber hanger mounts back in, it seemed easier to have the resonator ones already on the car, and then just pop the hangers on the resonator section into the mounts.

5. To make those rubber mounts go on and off easier during this operation, I used PB Penetrating Catalyst. It works great. Spray some in the holes before you try and pop the hangers in, and it makes it very easy. Just don't get any on the stainless exhaust and you're fine. Also this stuff evaporates quickly, so you don't have to worry about your hangers slipping off later on because of it.

6. Next, I pounded the rear S section onto the resonator section. Then the S section to the muffler before actually hanging the muffler on the rubber mounts. I tried it the other way first, and found it was damn near impossible. Getting the two sections together with the muffler already hung and the metal gasket between them was almost physically impossible. So when I unhung the muffler and bolted the two sections together first, it was all butter after that.

7. I cut away a notch in the plastic of the bumper cover that was in the way. A fine
toothed saw like a coping saw or a pull-cut saw works fine.

8. I waited till the very end to tighten all my bolts up.

Additional note: the exhaust is not a perfect fit. Some of the hangers are out of position a little bit, so you have to play with the rubber hangers to position them.

My first impression is that this exhaust is fucking awesome. It is quiet during normal driving, but has a smooth, somewhat deep tone to it. Not like my camry's 2.25" no-resonator exhaust, but deep enough to sound good. Then when you light it up and open up the throttle, this thing sounds KILLER. I don't have any dyno numbers at this time, but the seat of the pants dyno says 5-10 horsepower. You can feel it at the low end, but where I especiallly notice it is at the top end of the rpm band. With the stock DX exhaust, it always seemed to kinda struggle with the higher rpms, but not anymore. I'll be able to get more of a bead on it tomorrow when I have more time to drive, but for now this thing seems worth every penny of what I paid for it.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 17 2005, 08:57 PM
I just bolted this baby up today, with a magnaflow high flow cat as well. Some points to note if you are planning to install a magnaflow 2.25" exhaust (part no. 15645) and a magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter (part no. 22636) on your EG hatch:

1. I had to pry out a bracket under the rear bumper that was in the way of the magnaflow muffler. I used a standard pry bar, and then the claw of my framing hammer. You really gotta lift up on that fucker to get it off, but it only took a few seconds once I got the bar wedged in there. I have no idea what that bracket was for, but nothing was bolted to it.

2. When removing the old exhaust, I started at the header/cat flange, and worked my way back. This seemed to work pretty well.

3. When installing the new exhaust, I found it was easiest to bolt the cat to the resonator section before installing it, that way you can use the hangers on the resonator section to hold it up while you're fucking with the spring bolts on the header/cat flange.

4. When putting the rubber hanger mounts back in, it seemed easier to have the resonator ones already on the car, and then just pop the hangers on the resonator section into the mounts.

5. To make those rubber mounts go on and off easier during this operation, I used PB Penetrating Catalyst. It works great. Spray some in the holes before you try and pop the hangers in, and it makes it very easy. Just don't get any on the stainless exhaust and you're fine. Also this stuff evaporates quickly, so you don't have to worry about your hangers slipping off later on because of it.

6. Next, I pounded the rear S section onto the resonator section. Then the S section to the muffler before actually hanging the muffler on the rubber mounts. I tried it the other way first, and found it was damn near impossible. Getting the two sections together with the muffler already hung and the metal gasket between them was almost physically impossible. So when I unhung the muffler and bolted the two sections together first, it was all butter after that.

7. I cut away a notch in the plastic of the bumper cover that was in the way. A fine
toothed saw like a coping saw or a pull-cut saw works fine.

8. I waited till the very end to tighten all my bolts up.

Additional note: the exhaust is not a perfect fit. Some of the hangers are out of position a little bit, so you have to play with the rubber hangers to position them.

My first impression is that this exhaust is fucking awesome. It is quiet during normal driving, but has a smooth, somewhat deep tone to it. Not like my camry's 2.25" no-resonator exhaust, but deep enough to sound good. Then when you light it up and open up the throttle, this thing sounds KILLER. I don't have any dyno numbers at this time, but the seat of the pants dyno says 5-10 horsepower. You can feel it at the low end, but where I especiallly notice it is at the top end of the rpm band. With the stock DX exhaust, it always seemed to kinda struggle with the higher rpms, but not anymore. I'll be able to get more of a bead on it tomorrow when I have more time to drive, but for now this thing seems worth every penny of what I paid for it.
[post=556070]Quoted post[/post]​

Just had mine put on yesterday and it sounds awesome! Its quiet when I want it to be and loud when I need it to be. I could tell about 5 hp.

wow you're a fucking beast!!!!!how can you tell 5hp.....loudervtach????......

the rest of the info is great....i'm between rs*r or the magnaflow for the hatch

It's too bad it's a little off in the size. And because of the angle of the mount on the B16A header, the resonator sits at a weird angle, so one hanger is towards the top, and one is towards the bottom. So the exhaust doesn't really hang. This also affects the muffler section because of the bolt flanges having to line up. So the Magnaflow logo on the tip is at a slightly off angle from top center. It's also likely that the B16A header pipe is throwing the length off. We had trouble bolting the stock exhaust to the B16 header during the swap. I think it might be an inch or two longer. This tightness, this bad fit, is I think what's causing the weird shit I've been experiencing.

Ok, so here are the negatives, after having driven it for about a day.

1. Every startup, especially cold starts, there is a momentary jerk and a grunt from under the hood. Then everything is normal, except for more than usual vibration. That may be from the 4 point under brace I installed today, but it may be the tightness of the exhaust.

2. I get little "putt" sounding backfires occasionally. Nothing major, but it shows up sometimes between shifts.

3. In fifth gear on the expressway, at 3k rpm and above, the exhaust sound is there, noticeable, and I have to turn my stereo way up if I don't want to hear it. It can be annoying if you're just out cruising. Mostly the exhaust sounds great, except for the above situations.

4. I get a weird harmonic vibration in the car coming from the rear section, sounds like the hatch window vibrating, at around 3k rpm, but not above, and not below.

So there it is. Anybody else have any input from their experience, fire away.

The JDM header/cat flange is definitely a problem. I'm getting tons of vibration now in the cabin, at idle and at certain points in the rpm band while driving.

My first priority right now is getting a DC header for it so that the flange will bolt up to the exhaust at the correct angle so that I can rehang the exhaust and stop this shit. It's buggin the hell out of me.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 20 2005, 09:59 PM
The JDM header/cat flange is definitely a problem. I'm getting tons of vibration now in the cabin, at idle and at certain points in the rpm band while driving.

My first priority right now is getting a DC header for it so that the flange will bolt up to the exhaust at the correct angle so that I can rehang the exhaust and stop this shit. It's buggin the hell out of me.
[post=557485]Quoted post[/post]​

My only problems are this:

-When It is cold and I go past like 3k it makes a putt sound from the exhaust but when it warms up it stops.

-When it warms up and I go into VTEC it makes a putt sound again.

But other than that it is well worth the $300

haha,I've got the harmonic thing with my apexi ws,its at 3 and 4,000 rpm only when I'm on it,drives me nuts but everyone says its ok so I'm not freaking but I have a coupe with a test pipe.I'm hoping that someday I'll have time to put my dc 4-1 jdm type r and a better test pipe and it will disappear.And powerwise I lost a ton of low rpm but the highs are HIGHS.now if I could just get off my ass and put the header on and adjust my valvelash I'll be good but we just bought a new house w/a garage[yay!!!!!] so I'll be good soon.plus all stainless steel appliances just 2 years old,I'm stoked!!!!!!but in reality its just another thing to pull money away from my civic,oh well gotta grow up sometime I guess.

Originally posted by 4DRB16A+Sep 21 2005, 07:19 AM-->
Originally posted by civicious@Sep 20 2005, 10:47 PM
4DRB16A
@Sep 18 2005, 04:14 PM
I could tell about 5 hp.

Couldja now?
[post=557507]Quoted post[/post]​

With my uber honda noob spider senses.
[post=557584]Quoted post[/post]​

It's a special torque-sensing implant that goes in the left buttcheek. :D

Back