Main fuse blowing....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

girma

The main fuse in the fuse box (engine compartment ) started blowing the other day. This is a '94 Acura GS-R sitting in a 1989 Honda Civic hatchback. The fuse box is from the Honda Civic, but it has worked fine -- for 6 months -- until now.

Just wondering if there's anything fairly common to look for. I haven't found any bare wires anywhere. The fuse is marked "battery" on the box; it's a 60amp fuse mounted on a copper strip and held in the box by two screws. Thanks.

check the alternator wire and the alternator, if the wire is grounding out it will blow this fuse, also if the alternator is starting to shit itself it MAY blow that fuse.

USUALLY that fuse only blows if you put the battery in backwards or if you try to jumpstart the car with the cables hooked up backwards.

Just to let you know about the 60amp fuse that kept blowing on the Honda.... my son said that he had sparked the battery cables by putting the positive cable on first, then the negative. So we replaced the fuse and tightened down the cables, etc. But I thought I'd better check the alternator connections to be sure, and there it was: the ground wire on the alternator had broken free and would spark when it made a connection. That was the problem alright.

Thanks again for offering your help and experience.

Back