make a CAI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

Is there any way I can make a CAI with like $40 at like home depot or something like that? Im bored and I need a CAI so if there is anything you guys have tried and works let me know. IDK if they sell piping like that there but the only thing i can think of is that PVC piping for water!?!

PCV pipe is rumored to be bad, due to some toxic gasdes it lets off when it gets warm. Just buy a cold air intake off of ebay for like 30 bucks. They are out there.

do u have a short ram? if so buy some dryer ducting ( i got 4 feet for $2) and run it down threw the hole where the airbox went, down into fender, or as i did, run it into bumper and cut a whole for the air to go in. if u want forced cold induction, run the piping from the bumper up into the engine bay, buy 2 flanges that goes from a circle into a square and place a filter between them, then connect it back up to ur IM, i heard u get 0.5 PSi per 20 mph u go. so 1.5 psi on the freeway, that aint to bad.

Do a serach on google. you can buid an AEM style cold air intake for like $40-60. they even have instructions on ceramic coating it so it stays cooler.

i'm making one now and am going to try to do a DIY article and get it posted on hondaswap, but i gotta talk to B first.

I built one for pretty cheap except for the blitz mesh filter, the piping came out to be 20 bucks for a 2.5inch mandrel U bend from JCwhitney.

The easiest way to do this is buy a used shitty CAI from some kid online like stated above, I did that and then painted it flat black then added heat repellant foil style tape. It worked great.

Milan

I bought my aem style cai for 30 bucks on ebay. Its fits great and all the piping and clamps were there. The filter isn't that bad, but I will replace it with a different one when I get my engine built.

Originally posted by jeff@Aug 31 2003, 09:39 PM
I bought my aem style cai for 30 bucks on ebay. Its fits great and all the piping and clamps were there. The filter isn't that bad, but I will replace it with a different one when I get my engine built.

Which will be anout the same time Brian has a boosted GSR.

Not sure what you are driving currently (i didnt check, and i dont feel like looking now), but I had a PVC intake on my Prelude, it kicked ass! def. gain in performance. I used the OEM intake boot (from the TB to Airbox) and i crammed a 3in 45 degree piece of PVC into it, enlarged the hole for the factory snorkel to about 3.5 in, and ran a about 1 foot of 3in. PVC into the fenderwell. It worked great, and total cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of about $20 (without the APC Filter...hey, i was broke and bored, so i got creative). Hope i helped. It really did work out great for me, i would recommend it to anyone who wants to do a cheap intake mod. (i.e. you)

i would highly recomend agianst using pvc. do you know what pvc stands for.

Poly-Vinyl-Chloro...something. they use a bunch of chlorine tomake that stuff, and whenyour CAI melts from heat ( it gets heated by the engine, and by the intake manifold... if youdon't belive me go drive your car hard for 15 min, then pop the hood and touch your intake manifold.) so when it does your going to be breathing all those wonderful chlorine vapors which do wonders for your lungs.

those same vapors are going to go through your engine to, and i know that wont pass carb :p

Back