measuring for crank bearings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I have a B18B block and need to replace all the bearings for the crank. I know how to plasti-gage, but that involves already having the bearings. (Which I don't have) How can I measure and order the right size. I've looked online and only came up with standard, .50 over, and .25 over sizes. :huh:

Thanks for all your help!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Are your bearings all really beat up? Do you need your crank polished? If not you can use the letter and number codes on your block and crank to order bearings. There is a number(or letter?) on your main crank journals. There are letters on the bottom of your block also. You take the numbers/letters and they give you a code to follow to order bearings. The code may be on here, but I know that it is in a helms or haynes manual.

The info you found is the best way to do it. But you will have to buy a micrometer and a bore gauge. Around 60 bucks for the two on ebay.

Yeah, I don't have the bearings at all. My brother sent me a GSR head and LS block from California, then the crank, pistons and rods later. He never sent the bearings. <_<

Plus, I already got a set of micrometers, just need the bore guage. Thanks for the info though.

Back