Messed up suspension,repairable/replaceable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E-dogg

Hey I just bought a '91 CRX Si off ebay. It was supposed to need like a new tie-rod. However I got the car and it has a few other problems. I realize that w/o seeing the car yall may not be able to help me as much but thats ok.

First off, the cradle is bent. Only slightyly on the drivers side. The cv shaft on the same side is pushed inward. The half-shaft is rubbing against something, I think the cradle. The control arm is bent as is the sway bar I believe. The front end besides that seems to be fine. The frame is not bent in anyway that I can see, the windshield isnt broken and the wheel wells and everything are straight.

The car can* be driven and the engine seems to run great except for the ac belt that is missing. Also, the car has trouble going into gear and will sometimes come out of gear while being driven and will just decide when it wants to go back into gear. I suspect something may have been pushed into the shift linkage??

*I drove the car after aligning the tires as best I could. When I received the car the tires were facing each other (kinda pigeon-toed I guess you could say). It was only driven about a mile or so and then back to my house after having it looked over. The tires still dont face perfectly straight, one kinda faces inwards and gets drug a little bit.*

If anyone can tell me if those parts can be replaced w/o much of a problem I would greatly appreciate it. I had planned on strengthening the frame and replacing a lot of the suspension anyway. So I figure I got a lemon with this deal but I'm gonna try and make lemonade. Thanks a lot for any help and uh............ hondaswap.com rules!!!

hey, sounds like my old crx i sold 4 years ago, exaclty, except it had some wicked drivers side damage. what you need to do is find all the steering linkage and the control arms from a junk yard,you might need the swaybar and the lower control arms as well. and install them, that should help with the toe-in. as for the trans, is it an auto?, cause if it is its electrical issue, for some reason my old one use to shift gears whenever it felt like, esspecially if i had more electrical things on, weird. as for installing the control arms and linkage, its fairly easy for a person who's mechanically inclined. replacing the suspension would help so much, so do some research and see what all you want, if you need some do-it-yourself(DIY) guides, i have some links that would be helpful in the suspension and engine area. for the transmission, you can rebuild it fairly easy also, just alittle harder, get a helms manual, and it will explain everything. if you have any more Q's let me know, good luck

to bad about that car though, sounds like a horrible deal, how much did you pay for it.

I bought it for $600 and it cost me 400 to have it shipped, so $1k total. Also, what about replacing the cradle?? And the car is a manual. And if you could hook me up with those links that would be great. Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it.

hey, my computer that had all my tech guides were lost, my hard drive took a dump, but i will try to find them again and get them to you

anything that can be unbolted can be replaced easily...

sounds like you got fucked hard on this deal...
thanks sucks man

sounds like the trans may be on its way into the dumpster if you know what i mean...

Back