1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miata weight

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by K2e2vin, Aug 8, 2005.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I was looking at the specs of cars noticed the Miatas weigh around 2300lbs stock(1990-1997 models). Also, after looking at some stripped miatas, they still weigh around the same and i believe the Spec Miatas are limited to 2300lbs also. Ive also read an article about the MR-S, and it states that the MR-S's are more than 100lbs lighter than the Miatas. Where is all that weight coming from? And, if you were to fully lighten it, how light can it get?

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

I don't know what kind of material the engine is made of in the MR-S... but the Miata uses an cast iron block, and I believe (don't quote me on this) an aluminum head.

The block is about 150 lbs with crank/pistons.

3. Guy

Guy Senior Member

I know some of it comes from the drivetrain, as theres more parts involved with a front engine rwd vs a midship rwd.

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Yeah. The MR-S uses a standard engine and transaxle design, where the Miata has a driveshaft and rear differential. Can't forget also the little differences (exhaust having to route from front to back as opposed to just dumping out the back)

5. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

I have seen a miata stripped out and lightened to 1755 without driver with fuel......

as for the MR-S add a turbo and I REALLY doubt anything is going to keep up with you.

6. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

Except the guy chasing you that wants your number cause he thinks you look nice your miata

7. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

a couple years ago, the owner of Axis entered his mr2 turbo, he went thru like 3 or 4 blocks they said, due to too much boost. but, even when it did run, it was NOTHING special....

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted