Miata weight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I was looking at the specs of cars noticed the Miatas weigh around 2300lbs stock(1990-1997 models). Also, after looking at some stripped miatas, they still weigh around the same and i believe the Spec Miatas are limited to 2300lbs also. Ive also read an article about the MR-S, and it states that the MR-S's are more than 100lbs lighter than the Miatas. Where is all that weight coming from? And, if you were to fully lighten it, how light can it get?

I don't know what kind of material the engine is made of in the MR-S... but the Miata uses an cast iron block, and I believe (don't quote me on this) an aluminum head.

The block is about 150 lbs with crank/pistons.

I know some of it comes from the drivetrain, as theres more parts involved with a front engine rwd vs a midship rwd.

Yeah. The MR-S uses a standard engine and transaxle design, where the Miata has a driveshaft and rear differential. Can't forget also the little differences (exhaust having to route from front to back as opposed to just dumping out the back)

I have seen a miata stripped out and lightened to 1755 without driver with fuel......

as for the MR-S add a turbo and I REALLY doubt anything is going to keep up with you.

a couple years ago, the owner of Axis entered his mr2 turbo, he went thru like 3 or 4 blocks they said, due to too much boost. but, even when it did run, it was NOTHING special....

Back