1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micron measurements

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by abdelsol, Jun 24, 2005.

1. abdelsol

abdelsol Member

I was at one of my customers today and they were fine tuning a gage. I have designed many gages but never with a tolerance of 0.0005mm or 20 millionths of an inch. Common tolerances are 1 or 2 microns. this gage was increadable but I do not believe it can be done without enviroment control and temp compensation.

[​IMG]
    This is a scaled representation of a human hair to 1 micron.

Anyone believe something like this will actually repeat?

Edit: fixed image

2. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

Repeat as in what? Their are only a few things that I remember measuring or needing to measure at a ten thousandth of an inch. What were they measuring or needing to measure?

3. abdelsol

abdelsol Member

Sorry, used some business lingo. When we say repeat that means if you gage a part take it off and gage it again will the gage give you the same measurement.

The part is the spool for a fuel injector.

4. 88bluehf

88bluehf Senior Member

I am a machinest, and at my previous job I refinished mechanical seals. i had to hold 3 millionths of an inch of uniform flatness on my seals and i can say without a doubt there is no way that gauge will repeat without an environmentally sealed room. If you just touch the part the transfer of body heat can raise the surface 7 milllionths. Ive had to tell many customers to stick parts in there a$$ becuase they took the part out of my environmentally sealed room into there shit environment and then try to check that close of a tolerance.

5. abdelsol

abdelsol Member

Agreed and when you touch it your finger print is several microns tall......

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted