milling b16 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civ96

Hey i need to know how much i can mill a b16 head i am running ctr pistons and a two layer head gasket i want the most compression possable. Thanks guys

i wouldn't mill at all with that setup. if you want more compression get pistons with deeper valve reliefs. you'll start to run into clearance issues running the CTR pistons, with 2 layer gasket, and a milled head.

30 thousands at the most. It will be more for having a nice claen sharp surface on the head more than for compression. I agree with B16, i wouldn't go much with that setup.

matt

cool thanks guys i will just get the head resurfaced get maby 0.010 taken off. Thanks again.

ok ok i am gettin oem ctr pistons any way to get higher compression like can i order ones that have a slightly bigger dome or can i get oversized pistons that are oem?? this is the first honda build i have done till now it has always been V8's so keep the info comming guys thanks alot for all the help

yeah, just make sure to get pistons when going with higher compression, usually milling heads is used to adjust a slightly warped head due to overheating, the risk isn't worth the reward.

the ctr pistons are a good choice

nice i thought the ctr pistons were the right way to go so when i order them do i ask for higher compression ones??. I get them for cost my buddy is a honda tech so i just have to tell him what i want and he will order it. keep the info comming guys thanks

there are no "higher compression" CTR pistons. the oversize ones will slightly bump compression, but this is just because it is a larger diameter piston...

See thats what i figured ctr pistons are ctr pistons thats why i asked, ok if i can get oversized ones how much can i bore my cylinders?? or do i have to. Oh and how hard is it to port and polish the head i look in the intake ports and exhaust ports and can see the casting seems i have ported LT1 heads before is there any thing special i just want to remove the casting seems thats all and polish the ports. let me know any info thanks again

Ya i know its risky i am not doing any crazy porting i am just going to remove the casting flaws and give it a polish it prolly wont make flow any better but it looks nicer than seeing these flaws in the head plus i have to port match the intake. i have done this before just not on a vtec head i have done it on a $4000 set of LT4 corvette heads so not to worried. i will post some pics b4 and after see what you guys think. ok another question with ctr pistons am i limited to what i can use for cams?? will i run into valve clearence problems??. thanks guys

"when building a motor always check your piston to valve clearence w/clay,guessing its ok or taking someone-else's word could cost a pretty penny"

not sure where I have heard this but whats your head and pistons worth to you?
I like the type-r cams,pre00 ctr,no clearence probs,but I like the honda stuff.

the cam guide up top is your best bet.

cool ctr cams are on their way, ctr cams+crt pistons= no problem's clearence wise right. I ordered .30 oversized pistons ctr cams and eagle H beam rods this should complete the build. I just started porting the head today its going great using soft metal bits to remove casting flaws then smoothing with 100 grit die cylinders and polishing with brass polishing wheel and felt bit. turning out great intake side done.

please double check w/the clearence issue as I'm pretty sure the b16b has a taller deck,the rods might be the difference but I'm not 100% which is why I said "when building a motor always check your piston to valve clearence w/clay,guessing its ok or taking someone-else's word could cost a pretty penny".but from my research its what I want so nice build and have fun!!

I will be checking clearence for sure this is costing a lot of money dont want something that could have been avoided ruin it all ya know thanks for the heads up but i dont know if the b16b had a taller deck it would be a different displacement right longer stroke with the same bore = more displacement i think thats how it works. thanks again

keep me posted if ya find time,I'd like to know how it goes....

ya man no problem i will post pics of the porting i am finished the intake side and will be starting on the exhaust side tomorrow i hope, i am taking the head tomorrow to get resurfaced and to have the valves reseated as well when the porting is finished i will see if i can get the head flow tested but i'm not doing it to make it flow better i am doing it to get rid of the casting seem this will improve flow a little i guess because it will cut down on the turbulant air in the head. Next point of interest is portmatching the intake. i will keep you guys posted.. thanks for all the help.

Back