Mini Me Swap Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DustinVA

I have a 1995 Honda Civic EX and when I got the car it had a blown motor so I decided to do a mini me swap. After my dad and I got the engine in the car the car runs good but I dint think its running at its peak performance and it may be the timing. I have a friend who says that maybe my timing being off will help boost my horsepower but I to afriad to take off my adjustable cam gear and put the stock one back on. So could anyone tell me if the timing being off is a factor to good horsepower with these engines?

Engine and Head were completely rebuilt
Racing Chip (Dont know what kind came wih car)
4-2-1 Header
Cat Back Exhaust
New Plug wires
Cold Air Intake
Short Throw shifter
d15b7 Block
D16z6 Head

Wow I didnt know that I could blow a engine with that that Chip. I have another qusetion though. Do you have to have the timing belt cover on to set the timing? If so then how do I set the timing with it off? Oh and no my cam is stock but I bought the adjustable cam gear because I thought my engines timing would be off by half a tooth.

I agree with BLANCO, get a factory p28 ecu, THEN GET THE HEAD AND BLOCK

TO TDC WITH A NEW TIMING BELT, THEN SET THE TIMING WITH A QUALITY

TIMING LIGHT AND ENJOY SAVING GAS. "D"

or replace your ebay chip with a chrome tunned basemap, pretty much eliminate all trouble codes, put vtec down at 4500, and set redline at 7500. once you get a chrome tunned map you will have an engin that purs, gets good milage and will last pretty long for a mini me

What benifit would one get from setting VTEC 1000rpm lower? What's the theory behind changing the VTEC crossover point?

My redline is 7500rpm with a Comp Cams 59300 cam and 9.5:1 compression, why would he benifit from setting his redline at 7500rpm on a stock setup? What's the theory behind setting a "redline"?

I THINK HONDACHICK IS JSUT TRYIN TO HELP

EVERYONE IS ENTITLED THEIR OWN OPINION

STOP HATIN

No hating at all. I want to know if she knows why she recommended those settings or if she's just repeating what she's read elsewhere.

if i thought i owed you an explanation i'd give you my reasoning but since you seem to think i have know clue what im talking about and couldn't possibly l know from experience i owe you nothing

First and formost, 5500 RPM is not where Vtec pops on a 95 civic EX, its 4800 on all stock P28's

Raising the redline 300 RPM's will not do anything other than allow the power to peak a little higher. Vtec motors really make power up to 8000 RPM's and will go to 9000 RPM's but if you know that around 7800 RPM's it stops pullin hard and just goes up to about 9000 slowly making no power and thats only if your timming is set perfect. Hence why the 9000 rev ebay chips are so bad.

As for Vtec... Since when is setting Vtec @ 4500 RPM bad? I do it on almost every car i tune. Also Setting vtec at 4500 on a single cam will ensure that every time you shift you will land right back in vtec, unlike the stock vtec setting where you have to wait for it to pop again.

Anyway, to the guy that asked the question, 4500 vtec and 7500 Redline is good. I can hook you up with a good Basemap if you need one, also if you run a fuel and ignition tunned map like chrome just make sure that your car is running top dead center, by jumping the blue jumper next to your ECU and then proceed to time the car.

agree to dissagree, let him make up his mind. I am a street tuner, your a dyno tuner. Two completly different worlds. I havent had any complaints yet or blown engines, which is more than i can say for alot of the shops around my parts.

Back