Mmmmmm Fried Calamari!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Fried Calamari - Hands on Kitchen

Been a long time since I've been able to do any new recipes, this is something I did tonight for dinner.

1lb of already cleaned squid
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
old bay spice (optional)
lemon or lime
oil for frying.

1258d1226977032-fried-calamari-img_4105.jpg

1259d1226977032-fried-calamari-img_4111.jpg

1260d1226977032-fried-calamari-img_4112.jpg

1262d1226977032-fried-calamari-img_4117.jpg

1265d1226977075-fried-calamari-img_4139.jpg

Fried Calamari - Hands on Kitchen

I need to find a store to buy all the yummy japanese foods from so I can make stuff like that.

What does calamari taste like? Or does it have a flavor all its own?
One of these days I'll try some. The wife doesn't like fish so we don't buy it that often.

What does calamari taste like? Or does it have a flavor all its own?
One of these days I'll try some. The wife doesn't like fish so we don't buy it that often.
It's hard to explain. the flavor is all in the way it's prepared. Most people don't like it because of it's texture. Calamari is bomb ass fuck IMO. Good job Jeff. Any dipping sauce you make that goes along with it?

made some calamari this summer with some fresh caught squid that was swimming about 3 hours prior to cooking... OMG... you can definitely tell the difference :drool:

Ive always wondered what it was like. Ive never had the chance to try it, but I love all sorts of seafood/sushi and the way you prepared it makes it looks pretty damn good.

just gotta go out and try it. Too bad a lot of places don't do it all that well, when its done right its great!

I didn't do any sauce with it, I was happy with just the lime.

Also, calamari has as much to do with fish as turtles or snakes... its like beef and chicken, VERY different.

I love calamari. Looks like a solid recipe.

My girlfriend and my favorite. We get it probably 50% of the time if we order an appetizer.

With lime and a bit of sriracha and mae ploy its good.

Mine always comes out tough as hell. Like chewy tough. I need to tenderize it a hell of alot more, I suppose.

Where do get the squid from? And I was showing my mom some recipes from your other site, she liked what she saw. She is really into health food and I saw that section was lacking so maybe she can add some stuff to it.;)

Where do get the squid from? And I was showing my mom some recipes from your other site, she liked what she saw. She is really into health food and I saw that section was lacking so maybe she can add some stuff to it.;)

tell her to post some recipes up so I have some in that area.

Squid can be found at any Asian market, you might also find some at places like whole foods. check the freezer.

I get mine fed-exed from alaska. Fresh ftmfw. Along with salmon, shark, various crab, whatever else my bro in law catches. He is a commercial fisherman up there, so I get all kinds of goodies. Most recent was 6 pounds of scallops, all half dollar size or bigger. I enjoyed the shit out of those!

:wub:

I need to get a fryer....last time we tried to do it in cast iron we almost set the house on fire.

:wub:

I need to get a fryer....last time we tried to do it in cast iron we almost set the house on fire.

As long as you don't feel the oil up past half way you should be fine.

I fry in pots all the time, I just find that deep fryers help keep the smell down and the clean up fast.

Back