molding shaving question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

i am shaving my rear wiper and all 3 nozzles along with the antenna and all the moldings. my question is what is the best way to fill in the "ditch" that is left after i take them off? plastic filler is out of the question so i am lost.

I don't have alot of experience but I think you could use a fiberglass net to lay over the hole and fill. I'm not sure if the fiberglass would crack over time but I know they make the netting type material out of other stuff besides fiberglass.

for the moldings fiberglass filler, then cloth fiberglass over it, if you didnt wanna do that u can d some plates in there and bondo over it. Y are u shavin the rear wiper, if i could get mine to work, Id like it. As for the hood things just fiberglass, bondo sand.

i already did everything but the moldings. i'm thinking of just filling the holes and leaveing the "ditch" as a body line.

yea ive seen that, i think the cx's came like that. I personally like the moldings completely shaved, like i did.

If you do decide to fill the so-called "ditch" i would tack weld in some flat stock to take up as much space as possible. As you apply filler or "bondo" thicker it is at greater risk of cracking and sand scrathes showing up. If i were to do this i would do it the following way:
1) strip the paint off the "ditch"
2) tack weld the flat stock in place to fill as much of the "ditch" as possible
3) grind the flat stock and the surrounding area with 36 grit
4) apply a thick coat of duraglass
5) sand duraglass to contour
6) fill minor imperfections with a glazing putty or body filler
7) spray some primer surfacer, wet sand it, seal it, basecoat, clearcoat.
If you have any more questions just PM me. hope this helps.

NO

you weld in a filler panel dont tack weld it bead weld it in place.
then use a flapper to smooth it out next use a 1/16 inch or less of bondo to smooth it out. primmer and you done. Yu dont use kitty hair or any other fiber glass substance to fill the gap. YOu weld in the patch panel so it is flush with the surface

you use a series of tack welds to create 1 weld. laying longass beads will cause the door to warp badly.

yeah i explained that a lil bit better in a PM, just curious, do you work at a body shop?

I am not sure how big the ditch is, cuz I never had a rear wiper but I did complete some body work on my 89. My body man used copper screen and used lead to fill over. I found that the copper and lead worked well 'cuz it flexs more than fiberglass. He has guaranteed it not to crack or warp. I can get exact instructions if it will help.

no no no the ditch is left from the moldings. i allready took car of the wiper and antenna and squirters and emblem. I'm thinking about just leaveing the "ditch" and calling it a body line. btw my body experiance is a year and a half of trade school/vocational program.Next year its off to Alfred State for my auto body repair degree!

Back