More CEL codes....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97SIRTN

So the civic was running fine, but today it seems like something isn't quite right.
No check engine light. Then when I hit the interstate, my speedo jumps around and goes dead after I had drive about three miles. No CEL. Finally, right before I get home CEL lights up. I get home, jump the plug, turn the key.......No CEL at all!!
WTF?
I start driving again, and the CEL comes on after about five-ten minutes. This time I jump the plug before turning the car off. I get codes 21,22,17 in that order.
17=VSS ->speedo prob
21=Vtec...
22=Vtec...
Everything is plugged up and has worked for a couple of weeks. What could be wrong with the Vtec stuff? Where do I start looking and how?
B16A SIRII in an EJ8(97)

no speedo+check engine light+ I believe limp mode with that code if I remember right=no vtec . I had this same problem in my del sol, I had to go out and buy a new sensor that goes on the trans, but I havent goit it in yet so.. but there are 5 things that make your vtec work
1. Engine speed (rpm)
2. Throttle postion snesor
3. coolent temp
4. map sensor
5. vehicle speed (mph)

so if your car doesnt know how fast its going, then your car won't engage vtec i believe

Originally posted by Eh6@Mar 2 2005, 12:11 PM
no speedo+check engine light+ I believe limp mode with that code if I remember right=no vtec . I had this same problem in my del sol, I had to go out and buy a new sensor that goes on the trans, but I havent goit it in yet so.. but there are 5 things that make your vtec work
1. Engine speed (rpm)
2. Throttle postion snesor
3. coolent temp
4. map sensor
5. vehicle speed (mph)

so if your car doesnt know how fast its going, then your car won't engage vtec i believe
[post=468254]Quoted post[/post]​

yes the car will not engage vtec if speedo is not working, and when speedo is not working alot of times it will also throw codes for the O2 sensor if running obd2 setup. for the speedo error, check the fuse that is marked Alternator SP Sensor underneath dashboard.

I think vtec kicks in. I replaced the VSS($170) but the damn thing still doesn't work. All I get now is the VSS code(17). No more vtec codes. Any thoughts on why my speedo doesn't work?

Originally posted by jdm00civicex@Mar 4 2005, 03:17 AM
[yes the car will not engage vtec if speedo is not working,
[post=469004]Quoted post[/post]​

Your speedo reads your VSS, it doen't control shit, it is just a translation for your benefit.

If your VSS is bad, you will have speedo problems, and vtec will not function. If your VSS is new than you may have a wiring weirdness somewhere.

Back