1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motor Assembly?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by JDMilan, Jun 1, 2003.

1. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I would like to know from all of your experiences with which shops/tuners do the best work in motor assembly and sleeving???? Please list only from your personal or buddies experience, not some kid you know what whatever board that lives 2000 miles away.

I am researching around a place to resleeve a ITR block and assembly my bottom end.

Milan

2. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Have a shop sleeve it (don't have any personal exp. here, sorry) then assemble it yourself. IMO if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

3. ryanwolfe911

ryanwolfe911 Senior Member

Talk to a shop called Modified Motorsports. I believe they are in Virgina, but don't quote me on that. I saw one of their sleeved B16A blocks at Carlisle. They said they only charge $500 to install Darton Pro solid sleeves, that's alot cheaper then anywhere else I've talked to

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I agree with you lsvtec with having things done right then doing them myself. Actually I had my first motor swap ever done by a fucking fucktard in orlando. He totally fucked my ride up, used the wrong mounts, wrong AC bracket (eventually my working AC fell off while I was driving) and I got a first gen short block. And he had my ride for 1 month. I decided to sell that motor and buy another one locally, and did all the RE-wiring myself and swapped it and replaced all gaskets myself all with NO hoist :)

I plan on having the block sleeved, but this motor is going to see 9500+ and it's a grocery getter, in other words its a daily. After this guy I just done trust any, there is a down time issue with the bottom end so I would rather have a professional assemble the bottom and send it to me rather than spend my weekend putting it together and then doing the swap into my ride.

I would appreciate it if you guys would list phone #'s or links, thanks

Milan

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

dude, if your interested, my buddy tom has an 85mm gsr bottom end sleeved/bored/honed (i belive its all prepped) that he wants 1400 for it with mains/girdle. he also has a knife edged crank for sale for it as well, for 350 more (the one on the left in the pics).

then sell the ITR bottom end to some ricer like Chet who HAS to have R everything, when in fact, its the same damn bottom end when you take it this far....

let me know if you want a connection, i'll hook you up with his number/email

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

bump so you see this...

7. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Shit, it doesn't take a weekend to assemble a bottom end. I had my entire motor assembled and most of the way installed (on motor mounts anyways) in a weekend. What took me forever was the wait for parts and the wait for machine work. I worked by myself and with the measure 3 times, cut once (figuratively) attitude. If I had had one more person to help out, I would have had the engine in the car and running in that weekend.

8. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

The install doesn't take more than a half day, this is for me since I have no hoist. I know I could rent one also.

Yo, Pissed that bottom looks very very nice. Could you list what type of sleeves that GSR bottom has and also who did the work for the hone?

If you could jus send me an email on the phone to call, I am interested.

Milan

9. b16ahatch

b16ahatch Senior Member

Hey im from carlisle. Yea modified motors is the shit they do good work. There in york pa

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

its sleeved/honed by RS Machine... see the RS engravement? :)

IMO,

RS > GE > Darton > Bensons

check pm's

11. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Thaks pissed

Milan

12. wildbillhatchbac

wildbillhatchbac the OG VIP

i rebuilt my entire bottom end from 11am to 8pm on a saturday . . it was on the road at 8pm . . . and with no air/power tools!

13. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

That's a really nice looking block...

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

its even pretier in person :)

those who emailed/pm'ed me about it have been given his info, and i told him he may be getting a few calls- so don't be shy to call him. he's a cool dude, and knows his shit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted