Mounting bracket for caliper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zueke

Here's the scenario: 94 Del Sol SI

-Right front caliper bolt breaks inside the caliper mounting bracket.
-Tried to cycle heating (MAP gas) and spraying WD-40 to loosen it up.
-Tried drilling and an easy out. Break the drill bit (see next) and strip the easy out.
-Broke the drill bit (titanium bit) drilling a slot for putting a flat head screw driver in.
-Twisted the screw driver shaft and bent badly the tip of the screw driver.

Tried locating locally a new bracket and bolt:
No luck, only 1 junkyard has the 2 pin bracket design. Bought that by mistake, now I have to take back. (I looked and the brackets are quite different)

Any other ideas for getting the damn piece of caliper bolt out?
Anyone have a caliper bolt and mounting bracket they can send me tomorrow Priority mail for a 94 Del Sol SI? (Paypal money tonight?)

On a side note, I am having a very similar problem with the screws that hold on the rotors for the front. I have an impact driver (non powered) and with heating (MAP gas) and oiling with WD-40 also did not help. Any suggestions here?

HELP

Weird I've never had a bolt on my civics brakes give me that much trubble now a CV joint thats a different story <_<

anyways if you want the part first place I would check is www.car-parts.com they will list MOST all pick and pull yards inventory based on an online data base

as far as getting the bolt out I would buy some nicer drill bits you said you broke the titanium bit I wonder how good of a bit that was to start with? I've drilled some major shit on cars. just last year I had to drill out both my engine mount bolts OUT OF MY ENGINE HEAD it was on an angle so you want to talk about a bitch!!!!!!!!!

just get a good drill bit and use some drill oil if needed and a nice highspeed drill =)
trust me you can drill it! might be a bitch but shit sometimes thats how it works

another option would be a blowtorch you would have to be VERY careful however if you could get a nice hole burned thru the bolt and THEN drill it out that might help but it would be very hard not to F the rest of the mount up

another option would be to replace everything around the bolt I hear Integras are nice =)

good luck

I hate fucking with broke bolts shit happenes all the time on airplanes, if you can just replace it. After drilling and easy outs fail what you gonna do, you chould get a chisel and try and drive in an indent large enough for a flathead, but if the shit broke a drill bit do you think it would really come out with a screwdriver?

In the future inspect all harware for cracks before reinstalling and or be carefull of crossthreading and corrosion....

Oh and I'm terrible with mental images, but if for some reason it broke off with part of the bolt absessed (sticking out from the whole), vice grips and a hammer will do nicely :D

The drill bit was brand new, same as the easy out. I seriously think that the caliper pin was cross-threaded in by the lackey at my uncle's shop (had the brakes done there last time)

Here's the question. I have a caliper off from apparently a 92-95 civic (I think the EX?) because it has 2 caliper bolts. I got it at the junkyard today for $15 and then realized its not the same part. Will this, at least for a short time, be a bolt on replacement for the current caliper?

All Hondas are rare as rare can be around here... Maybe 1 out of 70 cars is a Honda.. Tegs are practically nonexistant. I really need my car running so I have transportation (live in the countryside). So the Teg replacement would probably not work.

I believe the part is cast aluminum, so the blow torch would just destroy the bracket.

Drilling it out.. My original hole was slightly off center. Wouldn't this make it uber-difficult getting the correct hole position for drilling the entire thing out? (**I haven't ever had to drill out a bolt**)

Help

lol I ment buy a whole new car =)

once again check out www.car-parts.com

Im not sure if the parts are interchangable but Im sure car-parts.com has what you're looking for

you might not get it tomorrow but atlest you can find a place to order it from if not buy honda OEM "cost out the ass" but you would know forsure it was the right part

Back