MSD ignition gone bad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stivic

I installed the MSD SCI and external coil about a month ago and up until yesterday it's ran great.
Yesterday it started misfiring and jerking the car a lot as I was driving even at steady throttle. It would rev up to like 6000 (macking scratching noises) and then jump back to 4000 and all over the place vtec kicked in maybe 1 out of 3 runs. Thought it was a ground problem so I grounded the MSD to the battery instead of the frame.

It was weird today it poped like a gunshot and cut off on the way home so even though I had no check engline light on I flashed the codes anyway and the MAP sensor code came up. I reset the ECU and that code went away.

I took the distributor cap off and the prongs behind it were definately a light color blue. So I scraped it off and now it seems to be fine

I'm just wondering what could cause this corosion and maybe some tips on how to prevent it in the future.

Make sure its perfectly sealed to the outside elements, and if its weather sealed tight, you should have no problem. Good Luck

Quoted post[/post]]
Make sure its perfectly sealed to the outside elements, and if its weather sealed tight, you should have no problem. Good Luck

The guys at autozone told me that the blue corosion can come from too much spark, and if thats the case then maybe I should contact MSD and ask them what the problem could be to if the corosion builds up again

Back