My B16A1 LMA's sounds awful

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbox

Hit there guys

Since i bought my B16A1 CRX the LMA's (Lost Motion Assemblys) sound bad, it tickles a lot.

When i start the engine (cold) it doesn't make any noise, but as temperature raises, it starts tickling.

I'm sure that the noise is from the LMA's, cause when VTEC kicks in the noise desapears. If i drive at low revs (1000~2500 rpm) it doesnt make much noise, but at 2500~5500 it does a lot, which can be heard at any speed from the interior.

I am using 10w40 semi-sint oil, as recommended by Honda for this engine. The engine has now around 81k miles.

The owner of a well known shop near me recommended me to swap my LMA's to B16A2 LMA's... since they are better. I already did some research, and the LMA's are little differente, the tops have a larger surface... anyone tried this before, or has any idea if this is gonna work?
He can do the work for around 150 dollars, putting used material. What do you guys think?

I really can't bear this noise anymore :(

Last edited:
how do you know its the LMA's?
the motor gets louder when vtec engages so you prob can't hear the noise
have you tried adjusting your valves to spec???

Many experienced mechanics imediatly dignosed the problem as LMAs rattling...

And at 5.500 rpm, when VTEC engages, i can perfectly notice that the sound disapears... until then, around 4000 till 5500 the rattling noise is pretty noticable. Exactly at VTEC kick, gone. So, i guess it's LMA's.

Valves were ajusted around 6k miles ago

Back