My cars making a horrible grouning sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

APEXi

hey guys my car keeps makin a horrible grouning sound and then cuttin out on me, anyone kno would could be worng?

for example :

im wating to pull out of a car park. i got my foot on the biteing ect ready to pull out once its clear, it becomes clear to pull away like normal, i pull out a few feet when all of a sudden my revs drop and my car makes a really laud grouning sound from then engine bay, the hazard lights flash (i think :S) and the check engine light comes on and the car dies...

anyone kno wot might be up wit my car? any help what so ever would be great

thanks in advance

what sort of grinding sound?
where does it sound like its coming from?

perhaps its a seized caliper?
you go to take off but the brake it stuck, stalls the engine?
and shot brakes due to seized caliper can sound pretty nasty

its not a grinding sound, its a growning sound and its really laud. it soulds like its comming from the engine bay.

i dont think its the breaks. it also sometimes makes this sound on start up, then the car wont start at all

what could it be?? :shrug2:

dude, you gotta give me some more info than just its making a growling sound, and i think its coming from the engine bay

i have no idea

if it does it when you;re trying to start the car then i would look into the starter and flywheel
if it stalls when you;re trying to move it i would looke into the clutch/tranny/wheels

you're not giving me much to go on here

what year and car?
what motor?
what trans?
cable trans or hydro?

from another forum i've posted on...

does your gauge cluster/lights go crazy?

my buddy and i were driving in his 2g eclipse, and alll of a sudden, his gauge cluster stopped working, and kept turning on and off, etc. and all of a sudden his car died.

turned out to be his alternator belt was shot...

reply from me...

yea the guage cluster goes all crazy jus b4 it dies, all the lights on the guage flash ect..

when i got home after it heppens a check for codes it always says i aint throwing any.

so its possibly the alternator then?

thanks for the help so far guys

a reply from another guy...

def sounds like a dead alt and batt issue...happened to me on a brand new battery...changed the thing 2 times and autozone gave me the wrong alt ..i forgot how many watts it was but it over amped my gauge cluster and tach...destroyed my autometer and they didnt even accept responsibility or wanted to accept a refund. talk of a law suit changed their minds

the car is a 1994 eg hatch and the motor is a b18c4 ( same as a b18c1 but with lsd). other then a crappy intake and a catback the motor is stock. hydo clutch, stock flywheel ect..

hope this is a bit more helpfull

wow honda alternators suck.. i had an alternator that when i started the car it had a nasty squeeling when you drive and and idle. an alternator mechanic replaced this tiny 60$ part in alternator and now it runs great ..reason was because it wasnt putting out enough voltage

wow honda alternators suck.. i had an alternator that when i started the car it had a nasty squeeling when you drive and and idle. an alternator mechanic replaced this tiny 60$ part in alternator and now it runs great ..reason was because it wasnt putting out enough voltage

LMFAO
that sounds like a lose belt dude, you got HAD...

Very well could be your alternator. The fun part is getting it out to have it tested.
you can test an alternator in the car with a simple battery tester, harbor freight sells em for like 5 bucks

the car is a 1994 eg hatch and the motor is a b18c4 ( same as a b18c1 but with lsd). other then a crappy intake and a catback the motor is stock. hydo clutch, stock flywheel ect..

i think the C4 just means its JDM or EDM, motor code should have nothing to do with the tranny code which would signify if its LSD or not...

an alternator would explain your car dying, but it doesn;t really explain the noises you described...
hows the temp?
have you noticed any fluids leaking?
any more info you could provide on this growling noise?
does it do it ALL the time, just some of the time?
can you drive the car at all?

the temp is fine

no leaking fluids

its not a growling noise its like a growning sound

its a random thing, i think it seems to happen more when i have my stereo quite load

yea the cars drivable

i really dont kno wot else to say about it.... :cry:

quick question..... if my alternator died, and the car wouldn't start at all now. would it still be possible to start the car with jumper leads???

rite my battery is completly dead now so i went and jumped it off my dads car, problem is.. its still dont wanna start :blink: what the hell is up with my car?? it woz fine about a month ago and its slowly gone downhill :cry:

rite i jus tryed again (to jump it) the fule pump primes and it cranks over like its wants to start. the only thing i can think of is that it cant be sparking correctly. i'll have to see its the plugs are sparking 2moro cos its too dark now.

if my spark plugs are NOT sparking what could be wrong? distributor?

if my spark plugs ARE sparking what could be wrong?

thanks for the help so far guys

all this has happened over about a month and has slowly got worse. heres the story...

basicly i got my ecu chipped running p30 on a chrome base map and it ran perfect.. started up first time ect.. i couldn't have been happer with it. then a few days down the line i go to start it, it dusn't start first time but started second time around so i didn't think much of it. then slowly it started to do it more (starting second time around). untill 1 day i go to start it and it dusn't want to start, i turn the key for the 3rd time and the car makes a laud groaning sound so i leave it. i come back a few hours later and try to start it. its struggels to start but finally fires up after a few trys. a couple of day later i try to start it, it dont wanna start so i think to myself it seems like a fuleing problem so after my battery charges it self up abit i try again... i prime the fule pump twise b4 trying to start it, i turn the key and give it abit of gas and it fires up, i used this method to start the car for about a week evan with it making this groaning sound in between. so now i kno how to get the car started so i'll be driving like normal then i's have to stop to give way to traffic and i'll pull away about 1/2 meters and i'll hear a load groaning sound from the engine bay and the guage cluster will flash like mad and my motor will die.. lucky i'd jus be able to get it started to get it home, untill i tryed to start it 2day... now it wont evan start the batter is completly dead and evan with a jump it still wont start, evan if i prime the fuel pump twise like i had been doing it still wont start.. :cry:

rite i fully charged the battery up 2day but the car dont wanna start... the fule pump primes and it cranks over but it still aint fireing up. while trying to start it at time it will sound like its goin to start for like when second but then it dont. i evan tryed the priming the fule pump twise trick but with no sucsess :cry: also when trying to start it, it made that groaning sound again :cry:

what should i do??? :hmmm:

get a stock ECU...

Replace the alternator.

The groaning is probably from the alernator. They have a tendency to make noise when they take a shit.

My alternator died in my old prelude, I could get it to run for a while, then it would die, crank for a while but didn't have enough "juice" to start the car, then kill the battery. Same with my 944. But they were both pretty easy to replace. Your B series on the other hand is a bitch to get to.

Back