My First Honda ls/vtec swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PaternityTest

Ok i bought my first Honda "95 civic EX"Wednsday ... I noticed that it said dohc vtec...which i thought it was supposed to be sohc Short Story..its a b18b1 the valve cover is red which im told should be the b16b head .....everyone tells me i should be happy...all i wanted was point a to b with honda reliabilty...extra is nice...but i know nothing about hondas how should i drive this thing "whats kind of rpms will it take" this is gonna be my dailly driver ...so any info on this setup would be greatly appreciated

just cause the valve cover is red doesnt mean anything. I have a red valve cover on my b18b. You need to look at the head and find the stamp. Then you will know what kind of head is on it. More than likely its not a b16b. Prob a b16a or a b18c1. Get that stamp and post it and we can help you out.

thanks ill look into that ...at work now....any advice on where to find the "stamp"

Face the car with the hood open. It is on the left side of the engine bay on the bottom half of the engine. It is a flat little square. It might have oil covering it so bring something to clean it up. If you dont see make sure you have the hood open :) Its easy to find.

gallery_33391_3_1092495660.jpg

How much did you pay for this car? And isnt that the stamp for the block not the head?

If its a LS/VTEC you need the stamp on the head, meaning what cast is the head.

But I'm not positive to where to find it since I don't have a dohc vtec of any kind.

wNTIwNjIzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

yeah i found the engine code but found nothing on the valve cover that helps

oh i payed $3900 for it i was told to be very happy abou that

judging by the intake manifold, its either a b16a1 or 2(mostlikely 2 b/c your car being OBD1) , because the gsr head doesnt work with that manifold and if it was a type r they wouldnt switch TO that manifold from the stock one

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 14 2004, 12:43 PM
Your head code is here...

gallery_630_77_1092505205.jpg

bet it says PR3-3/4 or 2, looks like a B16A head to me.
[post=376830]Quoted post[/post]​

says pr3 on the gears or whatever its called for the belt edit it says pr3-2 so that meansb16a head ehhh?

Those are cam gears. Thing is the ITR heads say PR3-X also, but like I said, more than likely it's a B16A head.

On the back of the head around the distributor, see if there is a green paint mark.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 14 2004, 01:42 PM
Those are cam gears. Thing is the ITR heads say PR3-X also, but like I said, more than likely it's a B16A head.

On the back of the head around the distributor, see if there is a green paint mark.
[post=376852]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah in the little spot which you marked thats it says pr3-2

and i didnt see a little green mark under the distributor there was a green electrical plug and on the intake manifold saw a little mark looked green
but thats all the green i see

Originally posted by PaternityTest@Aug 14 2004, 12:33 PM
wNTIwNjIzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

yeah i found the engine code but found nothing on the valve cover that helps

oh i payed $3900 for it i was told to be very happy abou that
[post=376812]Quoted post[/post]​

That's actually a pretty good price, depending on the condition of the motor! Please post pics of the entire car.

that tranny barcode probably won't help much. better to just check the tranny's vin # located on this green slab of metal on tranny to the right of that bar code.

Originally posted by Arachnid@Aug 15 2004, 11:45 PM
that tranny barcode probably won't help much. better to just check the tranny's vin # located on this green slab of metal on tranny to the right of that bar code.
[post=377337]Quoted post[/post]​

i got a pic of that what should it say?

Back