MY FIRST RICE POST WHO WOULDA THUNK?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
my buddy's shop has got a nice cf hood for my ek civic. i can pick it up for 100.00.
only problem is that i dont want to draw any extra uneeded attention from having two pins and a carbon fiber hood sticking out like a sore thumb, like some riceboy just looking for attention in his sub 15 second shitbox honda....

can you paint a cf hood to the same stock color your car is?

and can you also rig a cf hood so that you WONT need the pins, in otherwords it will look and operate just like a normal hood, with the obvious exception of the weight.....

and also, how much does a stock hood weigh as compared to a cf hood. i know the cf hoods are lighter....but is it really worth the extra money to get one?
weight-wise that is

yea you can paint cf hoods and yes you can make it so you dont have to use hoodpins...provided it has places to mount the factory latch on the underside of the hood.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Sep 15 2003, 04:53 PM
yea you can paint cf hoods and yes you can make it so you dont have to use hoodpins...provided it has places to mount the factory latch on the underside of the hood.

ready for the dumb question of the day?

if done professionally, will a painted cf hood, look exactly like the stock hood? (painted the same stock color)

or will there be variances in the color due to the nature of the cf material?

If you get it painted right, it will look just like a normal oem hood.
Well as long as your cf hood still has the clearcoat on it.

A friend bought a VIS Racing hood for his del sol, used his brackets and shit and it blew off, so all of the cf hood owners around here added hoodpins so it wouldn't happen to them.

id say the cf is like 15 lbs lighter but thats a guesstimate, and yes a cf hood is sparayable as long as the clearcoat on the hood is compatible with the paint system they are using at the body shop.

I woudl suggest some hood pins seriously. when I worked for a towing company a wrecked car came in where it flipped up because the latch ripped out and it hit the top of the car and yeah it was totaled pretty good.

about the paint, to get it to match u might wanna have them match it instead of going off the door color, your paint has prolly faded a little bit and it would match exactly, so have them mix the paint to match your car, dont just buy the honda paint color.... whatever.

I reccomend the hood pins, my buddy has a CF hood without them and it is warped cause the wind gets up under there. If you get some of the smaller ones they dont look too riceymy $.02

yeah, hood pins can be bad news also, when having them installed, make sure whoever does it knows what there doing because hood pins can cause carbon fiber hoods to spider crack...I recomend using steel plates, 2 to cover both sides of the hole where the hood latch goes and 2 more to act like brackets that stretch sideways and attach to the hood, this will keep the bracket hole from breaking under wind force...however, check to make sure you will have clearence with a the hood closing and b, don't get plates big enough to the point that they cause the hood latch not be able to "hook" the hood properly...

every time I see your posts, your always so concerned about not attracting attention. Just decide what you want your car to be, and make sure you make it. Don't modify your decision based on others.

That aside. Honda hoods are pretty light anyways, but any weight saved in the front of the car is very valuable. It's not as important for overall weight as it is for handling.

Secondly, a carbon fiber hood looks good on some cars. If it looks good, so be it. That goes back to my other point - don't go out of your way to please others. Being a ricer is a mentality. Going out of your way just so people ABSOLUTELY 100% KNOW your not a ricer, makes you a homo. Sometimes if you have just "subtle" mods, serious car people think your just some retard who can't afford any real parts. So as long as your worried about others, consider that. But that is neither here nor there. Make your car what you want it to be independent of others.

But YES, if you want, any quality shop can color match the hood. Usually when that is done, something cool is done leaving a little carbon fiber exposed

And back to the technical stuff, Many quality CF hoods now come with the same metal U, and it works just like a stock hood. I'm not sure about the one you have on your hands though.

specific civic SHOULD come with the little U shaped thingee so you can not use hood pins

Originally posted by highperboi@Sep 18 2003, 12:50 AM
im wondering how do cf get wind underthem and pop up and the stock hoods dont?

b/c the stock hoods are heavier, holds them down and also, its metal, they get screwed into.. the CF is like Foberglass, it screws but its easily ripped out, depending what yoiu're doing.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Sep 15 2003, 05:33 PM
A friend bought a VIS Racing hood for his del sol, used his brackets and shit and it blew off, so all of the cf hood owners around here added hoodpins so it wouldn't happen to them.

werd, that happened on my eclipse. GET THE PINS!!

Back