My H22 is ill...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fast4dr

...and I'm loosing sleep. Here's how the story goes. Maybe 2 months ago, as I get off the highway, the motor all a sudden stutter, and stall. Took a few tries, and finally get it back up and running, although not smooth. It got better after I stopped off a shop and rest it a little, so I didn't think much of it, maybe it's one of the weir thing with swap.

Starting last week, the oil light begin to slow turning off. So I change the oil, and here the horror part. The oil is fine, but at the oil filter inlet, I found bits of plastic!!
cry.gif
After showing and talking a few folks I know at the dealership, one of the mechanic pointed out that it looks like bits of a gear. So we look at the diagram and found that the rear balance shaft drive has internal gear within the housing, and running oil through it. We can't be sure if the gears are plastic, but if they are, then it could mean that somehow the gear broke, went through the pick up tube screen, through the oil pump, and got picked up at the filter. And getting stuck at the oil pump could be what stalled the engine.

Does anybody know how the oil runs in the Prelude? I'm thinking oil pan -> Oil pick up -> oil pump -> rear balance shaft gears -> filter -> engine -> oil pan. Is that correct? And does anybody has taken apart the oil pump to know if they rear balancing shaft has plastic gear drive?

Somebody please help.

sounds like the mechanic was on the right track. You'll have to trace out the diagrams, and find the source, like that gear. I have a 93 prelude book on PDF, but it's like 38 megs, so I can't email it. I used to send files over ICQ, but I haven't done that in a long time. :shrug2:

I also have the manual in PDF and have been looking at it over and over, but looking at all the diagram, I can see what the debris may be coming from.

Comment from other forum suggested that there are no plastic gear on the engine anywhere, so whatever it is, it's probably foreign...there are also suggestions that it may be some sort of seal.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the debris and cut up an oil filter to see if it's from there...it's hard to believe I have 2 oil filter fail back to back though.

Here are couple pictures of the debris...the more I look at it, the more I don't think they aren't from the engine...they look like some parts of push in plastic clips. Been talking with lots of people, and most people thinkg it could be from an oil filter that failed before.

attachment.php

Look at the front left piece, it looks like prongs from plastic clips.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 289
WERD!!!.....those are big ass chunks of something and they definately wouldnt pass through the oil filter

Back