My Integra is burning oil :/

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I have noticed that my integra is burning some oil. Not a lot, but since I am looking towards a turbo in the spring I would like to fix this problem. What would cause my b18b to burn oil?

Mileage on the engine and year? How much and how often to you have to top off your oil? What kind of oil are you using? Could it be because it's winter and you aren't letting the engine warm up enough before you hit high revs?

The engine is a 1995 and it has 170K on it. I would guess about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. I am using a 5w30 mobil1 syn. I was burning oil before winter, and yes I do let it warm up.

Stop using synthetic for a while and use regular oil, like try the Castrol oil for high mileage engines and see if that helps. Was synthetic oil used on that engine from the beginning?

I am not sure. I bought the car at 160K and I am unsure of the past history. Why would switching back to conventional oil help?

Do some searches on synthetic oil reviews on the various car boards. Synthetic is much more slippery, which in an older engine isn't always a good thing. The Castrol high mileage oil has additives to help preserve your seals and such.

Was the previous owner of the car just a regular person? So basically, you've used synthetic oil for the last 10K miles in your teg. Well I've heard that synthetic oil is only good to do if you start when the motor is brand new.

I found this passage online:
The age of the engine should be a consideration. A vehicle that has over 8 to 9 years on it might not be a good candidate for moving to synthetic oil. If you've been using synthetic oil with success then stick with it, but if you've been using petroleum oil, now might not be the time to switch to synthetics.

Here's the deal. Although it is highly unlikely the issue will come up, the following scenario is a possibility and has happened in a small percentage of older vehicles. A vehicle of significant age which has been maintained with petroleum oil may have seals and gaskets which are dried and cracked. However, in some cases, petroleum oil burn-off has left behind enough deposits around these seals and gaskets that leaks have been plugged.

When such an engine is switched over to a premium synthetic oil with a high quality detergency package, these deposits are cleaned out, thereby exposing those weak seals and gaskets. At that point, leaks could occur.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jan 14 2005, 04:56 PM
Well I've heard that synthetic oil is only good to do if you start when the motor is brand new.
[post=445783]Quoted post[/post]​

ive heard otherwise; when the motor is new, parts still have to break in, and synthetic doesnt allow that to happen. i think you have to wait like 1000miles or something to start using synthetic. someone correct me if im wrong.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jan 14 2005, 05:31 PM-->
94RedSiGal
@Jan 14 2005, 04:56 PM
Well I've heard that synthetic oil is only good to do if you start when the motor is brand new.
[post=445783]Quoted post[/post]​

ive heard otherwise; when the motor is new, parts still have to break in, and synthetic doesnt allow that to happen. i think you have to wait like 1000miles or something to start using synthetic. someone correct me if im wrong.
[post=445794]Quoted post[/post]​
The first 1000 miles using regular might help the seals seat better. But anyway, to start using synthetic oil when the engine is young seems to be what is recommended.... if you want to use it. I've also heard that Infiniti doesn't recommend synthetic oil for their engines based on seals and gaskets incompatibilities. Anyway, I like petroleum oil in my cars.

The spring goal is to add a turbo. What would need to be replace to stop any oil leaks. After the break in I would like to be running synthetic oil.

first where is leaking oil?

I would first do a compression test. Then come back with the results.

My b18a1 has 180,181,180,181. Thats EXCELLENT compression fro a 14 yr old motor, it was taken car of VERY well.

My b18b1 has 185 across the board, not even a dip in any cylinder. This is like a new motor, practically perfect for a 10 yr old engine. It is going to be my turbo motor.

Either one of mine are worthy of being turboed, just because of there great compression.

Burning oil could be a few things, most commonly rings or valve seals.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jan 14 2005, 06:26 PM
The spring goal is to add a turbo. What would need to be replace to stop any oil leaks. After the break in I would like to be running synthetic oil.
[post=445818]Quoted post[/post]​
Are you burning or leaking oil? I agree with 92civicb18b1 about checking your engine's compression. As to leaks, clean off the exterior of your engine well and a thorough visual inspection and take it from there.

Why so keen on using synthetic oil?

Back